Suggestion for Stable Socket A (AMD) motherboard

G

I'm putting together a PC for a friend. This computer will be mostly used for office type work, so speed really isn't an issue. My #1 priority is stability, #2, value. Integrated audio, video, and even modem is good for this application. I've seen boards with integrated video that also have an APG slot, so you upgrade in the future. This is preferred.

As I said, #1 priority is STABILITY!!! I'm looking for the Toyota Corrolla of motherboards here. Somewhat inexpensive, but will run forever, and I don't need a lot of power.

Planning on ordering Crucial memory (SDR is preferred over DDR, but not a big issue for me). Putting a Duron ~800Mhz in it.

Any suggestions are appriciated. Please give me a specific model.

marty10g

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
Have just finished setting up the following which is running very nicely. The board has 5 PCI Slot, 1 ISA, 3 Dimm and has intigrated Video and sound.

DFI AM75-TC
Duron 850 Mhz
128 MB SDRAM (Shared - 16 MB for Intigrated Vid)
20 GB Seagate HDD
56 Kps HCF Modem

The only slight problem I had was I put thr Ram in Dimm 1 and it wouldn"t boot, changed to Dimm 3 and away it went.
All the best

INTELigence is gained by obtaining aMD

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
so you want a cheapest possible solution, and that lies in the SiS730 chipset. I usually dont recommend SMA (Shared Memory Architecture) boards, and for that matter even SiS boards but this one worked just about fine for me. the VIA KM133 is okay but SiS730 has much better video than VIA and so far no compatibility problems have been reported (maybe nobody uses this board to find incompatibilites :smile: )

the board may or may not have any AGP slot, thats left to the motherboard manufacturer. I saw the Jetway <A HREF="http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/product/amd/830cn/830cf.htm" target="_new">830CN</A> that had no AGP slot (although it had the provision for AGP slot that is apparent from the PCB traces), neither does the Asus <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/products/Motherboard/socketa/a7s-vm/index.html" target="_new">A7S-VM</A>!
The <A HREF="http://www.msicomputer.com/product/chipset/via_km133.htm" target="_new">MSI boards based on VIA KM133/KM133A</A>, the <A HREF="http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/7sdx.htm" target="_new">Gigabyte GA-7SDX</A> do have AGP slot.

hunt around for more options, you will certainly get one to suit your needs!

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

G

Girish>
Thanks for your input, however, as I stated, I'm looking for stability as my first priority, not "cheapest possible solution"
Of those MoBo's you listed, which would be condidered the most stable, or highest quality. This computer will go 500+ miles away when I'm done with it, and I don't want any calls saying that the computer I put together had a catastrophic hardware failure...
Lets forget I even mentioned value, and I am looking for stability as my TOP priority. I care NOTHING about speed compared to other motherboards. This will be an office type PC. The only other thing would be integrated sound, and maybe video, modem, etc...

Thanks again for your help. I'm not trying to discount your advice, but I guess I need to clerify my priorities here...

I have used an Fic AD11 for 2 months. It is very stable and comes with integrated sound. Disadvantages are no extra fan connectors (one for cpu fan, one for chipset fan), only 2 DDR slots, and average performance. Dipswitches are used if you want to change the voltage or multiplier. I am running a 1.2 athlon at 1.33 simply by changing the multiplier from 9 to 10. Only $105 at GPS Computer Services. The cheaper, less reliable motherboards use integrated graphics,modem, etc. but most have integrated sound. For Sdram, I would go with Abit KT7A or KT7E. Abit has good customer support, but no integrated sound, graphics or modem on these boards. Both are listed on pricewatch for less than $100.

G

Epox 8KHA. best fricken board I've ever known. More stable than um... Kevlar underwear? Seriously though. Fast enough, but it never crashes on me. No matter how hard I try to produce errors and blue screens of death they just don't happen. Also, the temp and voltage reporting is very accurate. Did I mention that I love this board?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Matthews on 08/08/01 11:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, then if you want stability, compatibility, cost and upgradeability in that order then I would suggest forget onboard graphics since they might last long, but the stability and performance is an issue with integrated grapics with shared memory. as far as the 830CN with SiS730 is concerned, I did not notice any stability problems although I did not do any heavy duty things on it. so for day to day operation at the office it might be good enough. if you want to have onboard graphics alongwith a possibility of 4X AGP, then I guess VIA KM133 is the only choice since there are more manufacturers using the chipset than the SiS one.

if stability is the #1 requirement, then I would suggest you go for the Asus A7A266 based on ALiMagik chipset. get a cheap graphics card, maybe PCI based old Riva128 or AGP based RivaTNT2 which you might dispose off later for a GeForce3. office apps anyway do not require heavy duty graphics.

you also have an option for SDRAM right now and DDR for later upgrade.

plus, you have one thing not so common among boards these days - it has a real sound chip! the CMedia C8378 supports 4 chanel audio and a host of other features, but most important it is not any AC97 audio where the processor has to do all the work, and that contributes to overall performance of the system.

the stabiliy of this board is solid although wee-bit slow on performance (anyway 4~5% is no big deal, stability is important) there are no compatiility problems reported so far, and its overclocking friendly.

this board has the most mileage of all.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get the ECS k7s5a with the sis 735 chipset available for $61.00. Has both ddr and sdr support, stable as a rock, has a decent integrated nic and ac97 audio. The money you save will get you a decent video card and sound card if you don't want the ac'97 sound. Performs on par with the AMD chipset boards and has no via southbridge to contend with.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want stability get a BX motherboard and a PIII. You can't match that with ANY Athlon settup!
Best value for a BX is the Blaster PC, for $150 you get a case, motherboard, power supply, and integrated Live Platinum sound. Even when combined with the expensive 1GHz PIII it's cheaper than even a Duron processor, mobo, case/power supply, and a Live Platinum.
Look at it this way
Cheapo Duron-$30
Good Duron Mobo-$115
Decent cheap case/power supply $40
SB Live Platinum $150
Total $335

OR

Blaster PC $150
Pentium 1000EB $175
Total $325

So a Blaster PC/PIII 1000EB is cheaper and more stable than a Duron 700 system with the same sound card. And only a moron would say the Duron performs better.

The Blaster PC is available at Tigerdirect. I have verified it to support up to 133 FSB and up to 9.5x multipliers.

Video killed my Radio Card!

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
$115 for a good Duron MB??

hmmm....a little on the high side there dude!

SiS 735 based MB's are selling in the $60's

So, subtract about $50 from the cost of your Duron setup and the Duron setup is now $40 less expensive.

But wait!

Upgrade it to an Athlon 1.0 ghz or faster with that $40 savings and guess what?
You have a system about 50% faster for the same price!

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

G

The idea of $150 for a sound card is a rediculous proposition! The ABSOLUTE MOST I would EVER pay for a sound card is $40 for a SB Live! Value. Also, compare apples to apples here... compare your board to a socket A board with integrated sound. Also, for this application, any sound is good sound. I don't need the top-of-the-line sound card. just A sound card, any sound card.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Heck,

Pricewatch lists numerous Athlon based barebones systems (case, PS, MB and CPU for under $200. PLUS the SB Live Platinum is going for less than $100 So...

subtract $50 for cost of MB and $50 cost of SB Platinum....gets cost...according to your figures and my updated figures....$275

Hmmm....

Athlon 1 ghz @ $275 OR...
Piii 1ghz @ $325

We have a winner!

Athlon 1ghz @ $275!

Mark-

Mark-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I thought he was talking about a STABLE system. As in STABILTY being the NUMBER 1 priority. I think that precludes any systems based on generic parts. And my platiunum is the 5.1. And you cannot compare the Live Value, the LIve Drive alone cost over $100 when purchased separately.
In fact, since the Blaster PC comes with the BX chipset on a good motherboard design, manufactured by a reliable manufacturer (shuttle), there are no AMD systems that can match it for stability.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
HEY MORON! THIS IS APPLES TO APPLES, FIND ME A SOCKET A MOTHERBOARD WITH INTEGRATED LIVE PLATINUM 5.1 SOUND! IF YOU CAN'T DO THAT, THAN BUY THE FRIGGIN SOUNDCARD, $150!!!
YOUR LACK OF INTEREST IN THE LIVE PLATINUM DOES NOT JUSTIFY A PRICE COMPARISON TO A CHEAPO MOBO WITH INTERGRATED AC97 CODEC! I'M DOING APPLES TO APPLES, YOUR DOING APPLES TO CRAP! Go ahead and get the cheapest crap you can find, I thought stability was the number 1 priority, I guess you lied, don't ask me for any help when your piece of crap blows up in your face!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry but this SIS board stomps the **** out of any bx board. And lets also through in the cost of a network adapter into the equation as the SIS board has that intgrated. Also compare memory bandwith...no comparison. Take of $55.00 dollars for your quoted motherboard coast and then at least another $25.00 for network adapter. With that get a better processor...sorry but no comparison. The BX is good but getting old in a hurry.

G

the iwill ka266 is a good stable board. just dont pay attention to the tomshardware review thats says its unstable. i can keep my computer on for ages under 100% cpu load.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Excuse me but didn't he say that the computer was mainly for office use? Why on earth would he need a sound blaster live 5.1? Yeah sure its a nice card but is it neccesary for his needs? Wouldn't the money be better spent elsewhere?

Thanks again for your help. I'm not trying to discount your advice, but I guess I need to clerify my priorities here...
I thought your priorities were stability uppermost?

As Crash says, the BX is the one.
After a few months of going through the which mobo stuff, I went for a Abit BX133 RAID. No problems. I repeat NO PROBLEMS!

Crashman (or Brashman on this post- sorry Crash LOL) and a few other guys were instrumental in the choosing stages.

Ask for advice. Take it well. Your decision mate.

<b>
If the best things in life are free, why do I keep upgrading my system? :smile:
</b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Ok, everyone settle down :)

Side Note: I was browsing Pricewatch when I noticed that they had removed the SiS 735 altogether. It used to have its own category as well as the ECS listing. Now nothing....

<font color=red>Change the sig of the week!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, he ask for stable, the BX is the most stable. As far as sound goes, I think the SB Live is overrated, in fact, compared with other premium sound systems, it stinks. But I figured anyone who stated stability was the Number 1 issue and then ask about Socket A motherboards would probably know so little about computers as to think the Platinum was a worthwhile investment.
Sure, you can get good BX boards for $30.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
735 is rock solid according to reviews...no crashes whatsoever beyond what might be expected of Windows systems.

735 based motherboard is definitely not a generic part. The two manufacturers currently having boards and reviews OF those boards are both under $70 at retail.

As for SB Live. I TOO was referring to SB Live! PLATINUM at under $100. Check out Pricewatch.

Yes, BX is stable, but BX isn't an AMD compatible motherbvoard. The request was for a stable Athlon motherboard. 735 is very stable...probably nearly as stable or as stable as a BX board.

Mark-

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have to agree with crashman on this, for stability go with a p3600-1000 and a bx board. of all the systems I,ve owned ive never had one crash even when overclocking. We have a p3 600 and an asus board in our server and its been running for almost two years and no problems.

I've done so much,for so long,with so little,I'm now qualified to do anything,with nothing,forever!

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
It's in the ECS listing still...at $65

You can also check out the other manufacturer that has released a board. I forget the one. No matter as there are several others working on boards as well.