PS3 won't read ANY discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtruq

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I have a 40GB PS3 that I got from a friend. Everything works except that it won't play any kind of disc. I took it apart and cleaned the lens with no luck. I got it open to where I can see the lens coming through the disc, and I see the blu-ray lens first, then it switches to red. It then spins for a second and stops, and it does this every time on all disc except regular music cds, where it wont spin at all. I put in a blu-ray dvd movie and waited for it to spin, then quickly swapped the disc with the music cd and it loaded it and played the music. It didn't work vice-verse with trying to play movies.

Is it possible that I have a weak laser? If so then how come it played the music cd after I tricked it into thinking it was still a movie in there? (And won't even spin at all while loading a music cd from start) I even tried resetting the system, and rebuilding the database with no luck. I don't want to go out any buy another laser for $60 if I don't have to. This is strange. :(

anon21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

try this http://18b3ensqq9zvcn5dtpm74xft8i.hop.clickbank.net/

qtruq

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
The new laser that was sent to me made everything better. So i guess it was the laser all alone. Just because you see light shooting from the laser doesn't means it's working properly. It had a voltage problem and wasn't strong enough. Hope this helps the people that's having the same problem.

Don't forget to lubricate the 2 rails the laser goes back and forth on, for better movement and less strain on the laser.

qtruq

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I say a 1. It wasn't difficult at all. But I don't know if my rating would be fair to others since I have a background of working on electronics. Overall, the process shouldn't be all that hard. Just take your time, and be careful to not lose any parts.

Also, make sure you have a small magnetic screwdriver for them small screws that holds down the rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.