Closed

PS3 won't read ANY discs

I have a 40GB PS3 that I got from a friend. Everything works except that it won't play any kind of disc. I took it apart and cleaned the lens with no luck. I got it open to where I can see the lens coming through the disc, and I see the blu-ray lens first, then it switches to red. It then spins for a second and stops, and it does this every time on all disc except regular music cds, where it wont spin at all. I put in a blu-ray dvd movie and waited for it to spin, then quickly swapped the disc with the music cd and it loaded it and played the music. It didn't work vice-verse with trying to play movies.

Is it possible that I have a weak laser? If so then how come it played the music cd after I tricked it into thinking it was still a movie in there? (And won't even spin at all while loading a music cd from start) I even tried resetting the system, and rebuilding the database with no luck. I don't want to go out any buy another laser for $60 if I don't have to. This is strange. :(
6 answers Last reply
More about read discs
  1. I had the same problem. You have to send it in to sony to fix!!
  2. No, because it's been open. I'm sending off for another laser to see if that works.
  3. qtruq said:
    I have a 40GB PS3 that I got from a friend. Everything works except that it won't play any kind of disc. I took it apart and cleaned the lens with no luck. I got it open to where I can see the lens coming through the disc, and I see the blu-ray lens first, then it switches to red. It then spins for a second and stops, and it does this every time on all disc except regular music cds, where it wont spin at all. I put in a blu-ray dvd movie and waited for it to spin, then quickly swapped the disc with the music cd and it loaded it and played the music. It didn't work vice-verse with trying to play movies.

Is it possible that I have a weak laser? If so then how come it played the music cd after I tricked it into thinking it was still a movie in there? (And won't even spin at all while loading a music cd from start) I even tried resetting the system, and rebuilding the database with no luck. I don't want to go out any buy another laser for $60 if I don't have to. This is strange. :(

try this http://18b3ensqq9zvcn5dtpm74xft8i.hop.clickbank.net/
  4. The new laser that was sent to me made everything better. So i guess it was the laser all alone. Just because you see light shooting from the laser doesn't means it's working properly. It had a voltage problem and wasn't strong enough. Hope this helps the people that's having the same problem.

Don't forget to lubricate the 2 rails the laser goes back and forth on, for better movement and less strain on the laser.
  5. How difficult was the install of the new lazer on a scale from one to five?
    I have a issue also.
  6. I say a 1. It wasn't difficult at all. But I don't know if my rating would be fair to others since I have a background of working on electronics. Overall, the process shouldn't be all that hard. Just take your time, and be careful to not lose any parts.

Also, make sure you have a small magnetic screwdriver for them small screws that holds down the rails.
Ask a new question

Read More

Console Gaming PlayStation Music Video Games