Mobo to suit older parts?

My cousin wants:

A PIII GHz CPU.
My old 32MB Rage Fury Pro
My old 256MB of PC-100

Now I'm thinking I'll get him a BX board (maybe a CUBX-E or L), but doesn't the Socket 370 GHz CPUs lock at 7.5? This would limit it to either:

PIII GHz @ 7.5 * 100 = 750MHz = CRAP
PIII 850MHz @ 8.5 * 100 = So so, but he wants a GHz.
PIII GHz Slot 1 @ 10 * 100 = Expensive

He does NOT want to spend lots of money. Do I have any other options on the CPU matter? (I don't want a AMD solution).

<b>
If the best things in life are free, why do I keep upgrading my system? :smile:
</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Asus CUSL2-C is your answer. Cheaper than the CUSL2 because the onboard video is removed, it supports a 133/100 FSB/memory bus speed ratio. It supports ALL PIII Coppermines. The TUSL2-C is a newer version that also supports Tualatins, should he ever want to upgrade.

Video killed my Radio Card!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The graphics and ram will be fine, because the CUSL2 series has a 133/100/33 FSB/memory/PCI setting. Running the memory asychronously at that slower rate makes PC100 work with a 133FSB processor such as the 1000EB. Greater memory performance will be available to your cousin whenever he gets around to upgrading to PC133, but PC100 works fine in the meantime.
You can turn AGP down to 2x with the CUSL2 series. And it has a 1/2 AGP divider so that you can run your AGP at the proper 66MHz bus with the 133FSB.
So basically, using a great motherboard enables you to combine older and newer parts sucessfully.

Video killed my Radio Card!