Unstable Aopen AK74Pro (A)

G

I have an Aopen Ak74Pro (A) motherboard, and it works great.
With a few exceptions. When i reboot windows, i get error messages (During POST)like wrong checksum and it makes strange sounds and in the end it turns off the monitor and refuses to boot. If I press the reset button, it boots like normal with no error messages.
Another thing that might be related is a 10 second delay during startup of windows. just waits for something and then continue. Even with a clean install.
Any help is appretiated. Thanks.

System:
Win98 SE
Via 4in1 4.32
Athlon 1200/266
256 MB CL3 PC133 (noname)
Matrox G400
Soundblaster PCI 128
IBM 20G ATA66 7200 RPM HD
Mitsumi 4X burner

Boy am I full of it - in every respect.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
hmmm, sounds to me like you need to update your bios. i have the aopen ak73 proa and was getting similar messages until i did. anyone think thats it?

...and i would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids...

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
If the BIOS update doesn't work, the next thing you might want to try is some different memory. A lot of people have had problems with no name memory on VIA based motherboards. If you have some other memory you can borrow from someone, then you might want to try that.

Or, the other thing that causes a lot of problems is a small power supply. Most people recommend a 300+ watt power supply, especially for an Athlon 1.2 GHz.

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

G

Thank you for both your posts. Thing is BIOS IS new. V1.13. Isn't that the newest one??
AND the power supply IS 300W from the Aopen MAXI Tower.

The memory thing I will try to check out.

I was thinking about the Matrox might not be to happy with this motherboard... Anyone?

Boy am I full of it - in every respect.