256MB DDR RAM (1 stick)
Maxtor Diamond Max 60gig HDD
ACER 10x4x32 Burner
Phillips 8x DVD
Riva TNT2 16MB G-card
Realtek Nic
Emermax PS 350Watt
Mobo/hd jumpers triple-checked...

Totally new HD (my old Maxtor had a critical error, they sent me this one which I got today and just opened), the CPU, mobo and RAM were just tested by the store I bought them in after my mobo was fragged. Soooooo... that leads us to today.
The Problem:
I install Win98SE, get to teh Enter your name and Company, and maybe get to the "Enter Serial"... Shuts down and/or restarts... at that same point... I've tried with 2 seperate 98SE installation CDs, and tried one Win2k PRO (gives me a blue screen after the reset after teh copying files to hard drive bit.

The HD is Partitioned to have a 7.1gig c: drive for windows, a 30gig partition for appz, and the rest is a scratch disk.

Any ideas? Please be something simple, I've been having problems for 3 friggin' weeks with this thing and wouldn't mind using it before it becomes obsolete!

<font color=orange>Everything I install is based on Plug n' Pray architecture</font color=orange>

If you are getting a "winsun" or similar error message, this refers to the hardrive partition. If this is your problem, you need to run fdisk and repartition and format your hardrive. The reason I suspect this is I had similar problems at about the same point when installing windows, until I found out what the error code referred to. This is only a guess, as you haven't provided any error messages. I have an Fic AD11, with no problems.

sTRO

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2001
Thanks for your post... when it restarts there is no error code... although on occassion, it gives me the blues screen and:

"An exception at 0028:C0259688 in VxD VDD(0f) +
00001394. This was called from 0028:C0047384 in VxD VPICD(01) +
000008F0."

And then it froze.

<font color=orange>Everything I install is based on Plug n' Pray architecture</font color=orange>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try loading Windows with the minimum of hardware; hard drive, CD-ROM, floppy, memory, and video card.

If you can get Windows to load then immediately install the latest motherboard drivers (Is that a Via chipset?) before installing anything else.

sTRO

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2001
I only had those things in there 1 mem, HD floppy, video...

It just hates me... this I'm sure of now... I'm just going to bring it to the shop and say make it work or give me one that does... there's no reason it should be this difficult...

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
this is a real shot in the dark, but have you tried doing the install by copying the win98 folder from the cd to your hard drive and setup from hard drive? that would at least take the cd rom out of the equation.....

...and i would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids...

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
im sorry to say but your system is already obselete... youve got a tnt2... you fell into the trap most shops set... having the fastest possible cpu with as little else as they can get away with...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

sTRO

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2001
WEll, the vid card is the next upgrade, that's actually carried over from my old PIII450... I just nickle-and-dime my way up to new computer status, and this the PSU, CPU, mobo, mem jump was the latest and(less than) greatest.