Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Battlefield
  • AMD
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
August 31, 2011 12:45:33 PM

Right, so a month ago I bought me a new HD 6770 :bounce: 
In the past I have had a GeForce MX440 (10 years ago or so), then a 9400 GT, and now my first AMD/ATi card.

I've been playing games like ArmA, Bad Company 2, and R.U.S.E. perfectly fine, but when I try running Battlefield Play4Free and Battlefield 2, I start getting problems.

Battlefield 2:

So, I have a shortcut on the desktop with paramaters +menu1 and +fullscreen 0, but when I open it I get this message:

Debug assertion failed!
Version: blah blah
Module: RendDX9
File: C:\dice\projects\bf2\code\BF2\RendDX9\VideoOptions.cpp
Line: 234

Text: Unknown DynamicOption value 1024x768

Current confile: blank [nothing here]

[Cancel] [Try Again] [Continue]

Now, the problem is, I don't have the directory "C:\dice\projects\bf2\code\BF2\RendDX9\VideoOptions.cpp" it simply doesn't exist. I'm using a 22" LCD TV as a monitor, powered by the 6770 via HDMI (audio through HDMI as well). My desktop resolution is 1600x900 at 30Hz, and my gaming resolution is 1080p. I try forcing BF2 to run in 720p, but whatever I try it just doesn't work. I've reinstalled god knows how many times now (5? 6 times?), deleted the MyDocuments/Battlefield 2 folder, edited the .CON files in the game's directory, installed the latest patches, and it still doesn't work. SAME ERROR EVERY TIME :pfff: 

So, with a scrap of hope left, I thought it could be one of the monitoring programs I use. So, I opened up taskmanager, ended AfterBurner, ended CCC, and tried again. I got the same error again. I've read countless posts forums on how to fix this problem (even installed MS .Net framework 4) but it still showed the same error. When I open the game in fullscreen, it simply CTDs.

Battlefield Play4Free

Okay, so I log in through the browser thing, click on play now, the loader does it's job, opens up a window (which is blank) and 5 - 6 seconds after starting, Windows 7 says "this program has stopped working". I can either choose to close it, or check online for solutions.

Coming from a 9400GT I expected a LOT more from this 6770. Rest assured, I am going to stick with AMD for a while now (going to be building a new oct-core Bulldozer rig with the new 28nm Radeon cards) but I'm simply disappointed. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm open to suggestions. Funny part is, I see people on youtube playing BF2 with a 5770, but for a bizarre reason, I'm not able to.

Current specs (soon to change though)
AMD Athlon X2 240 @2.8Ghz
XFX Radeon 6770 (reference card)
320GB IDE HDD (yes, I'm still on IDE, mainly because my motherboard sucks)
Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM storage drive

More about : bf2 hates amd radeon cards

a b À AMD
August 31, 2011 4:48:56 PM

so at a guess you removed the 94 gt and replaced it with the ati card? you installed the drivers for it and away you went.... did you use the nvidia removal tool or driver sweeper to remove the old drivers?
have you updated your direct x
you will want to run the dx setups that come with the games just to make sure there fully supported..

1 other thing if you can play your games at 1080p then set your moinitor up to that rez for your desktop. it may be the change over that is making the card unstable...
lastly how big and old is your psu?.
August 31, 2011 5:06:54 PM

HEXiT said:
so at a guess you removed the 94 gt and replaced it with the ati card? you installed the drivers for it and away you went.... did you use the nvidia removal tool or driver sweeper to remove the old drivers?
have you updated your direct x
you will want to run the dx setups that come with the games just to make sure there fully supported..

1 other thing if you can play your games at 1080p then set your moinitor up to that rez for your desktop. it may be the change over that is making the card unstable...
lastly how big and old is your psu?.

no I did a thorough clean up of my drive then reinstalled Windows 7 with the VGA card in. PSU is not the problem; it's a 750w CIT 80+ PSU. I recently (like approx 3 months back) replaced my old PSU which was a 550w PSU (crappy one) with this one. I have just finished reinstalling AMD graphics drivers to see if that did anything, but I've had no luck whatsoever. I keep getting the same error message in BF2 and Play4Free isn't even starting (same as before).

It's a huge let down that a game such as Play4Free isn't working on a hugely mainstream card such as the 6770.
Related resources
a b À AMD
September 1, 2011 1:49:56 AM

if you're trying to play and the native resolution of the monitor isn't used you can have problems....... try checki9ng the refresh rate. wrong refresh rate will cause you problems. if any of these games are trying to be played on the net..... could be connection. if games wont load......... something is wrong somewhere. did you install the DX feature that should be on the discs with the game ? go to windows update and see if your machine needs updates for anything.
right click on the desktop icon/properties. look for "play in compatibility ........ xp perhaps ?
September 1, 2011 1:53:02 PM

swifty_morgan said:
if you're trying to play and the native resolution of the monitor isn't used you can have problems....... try checki9ng the refresh rate. wrong refresh rate will cause you problems. if any of these games are trying to be played on the net..... could be connection. if games wont load......... something is wrong somewhere. did you install the DX feature that should be on the discs with the game ? go to windows update and see if your machine needs updates for anything.
right click on the desktop icon/properties. look for "play in compatibility ........ xp perhaps ?

I'll install DX9 and see how it goes. Installing FSX (DX9 title), just to test my theory.

Thanks to all who've contributed, I've asked this question on overclockers.net, so if you want to follow the discussion, then visit this link

http://bit.ly/ovZN0Y

Thanks again!
September 1, 2011 4:10:43 PM

Nope, no luck.
a b À AMD
September 1, 2011 6:14:36 PM

are the games patched ? and did you try the compatibility thing I posted above ?
September 5, 2011 12:07:11 PM

swifty_morgan said:
are the games patched ? and did you try the compatibility thing I posted above ?

Yup, I had tried it, but I still couldn't seem to get it to work.

Any more help would REALLY be appreciated =)
a b À AMD
September 5, 2011 12:18:12 PM

I look at these games requirements. Pretty old stuff. Says shader model 2.0.

Does your old card work ? to try and see if games still run.

The compatibility thing......... you tried it for xp and windows 95 and whatever, etc. ? and then hit apply after-wards ?

these are legit games ? you have the cd's ?
September 6, 2011 10:54:02 PM

the 6770, and 5770 are basiccally twins, and i have no issues what so ever. did you tell your game to force DX 11? the game tries to run DX 9 as default. has lots of issues. you will need to open your config file and change "auto" to "11"
January 29, 2013 5:04:26 PM

My sincerest apologies for 'resurrecting' such an old thread, but I now have the 6770 in my HTPC. I've tried running it on new system (i7 3770k and a GTX 680) but I've had no luck. Seems to be a problem with the game.

I don't have the disks because it's a digital download from Steam. Game runs like a charm on my laptop though :) 
!