Sign in with
Your question

Computer lagging when brand new?

Last response: in Video Games
September 1, 2011 7:07:47 AM

Hi there, i recently purchased http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

from tiger direct.

Now dont get me wrong, this computer looks cool and windows 7 starts up really fast due to the blu ray drive. However, i try some graphically demanding games since this thing is a beast. I play metro 2033 and max out everything ( Dx11 ). Every option i come across in the video section i max out.

If im getting below 30 fps on avg is that normal for that rig? Im going to post specifics in terms of fps soon as i learn how to use fraps properly.

More about : computer lagging brand

September 1, 2011 9:07:39 AM

tophawtdog4411 said:
Hi there, i recently purchased http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

from tiger direct.

Now dont get me wrong, this computer looks cool and windows 7 starts up really fast due to the blu ray drive. However, i try some graphically demanding games since this thing is a beast. I play metro 2033 and max out everything ( Dx11 ). Every option i come across in the video section i max out.

If im getting below 30 fps on avg is that normal for that rig? Im going to post specifics in terms of fps soon as i learn how to use fraps properly.

That rig's a gamer's dream, grats, mate. And still, you should be getting more frames per second, I was getting more on a slower machine, but again, what resolution are you running the game at?
m
l
September 2, 2011 3:40:38 PM

In which all games do you experience this below 30 FPS problem ? Only in Metro ?
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2011 5:19:52 PM

your getting the rite fps for that setup. the 6850 although a good card can almost max metro2033 and crysis just turn the ultra high end settings down. instead of having ultra aa just use normal anti aliasing and your fps will go back to 30+ with little impact on gfx quality...
m
l
September 2, 2011 5:29:46 PM

Hexit is right. Metro 2033 is a beast. It favors the nvidia cards. I have 2 5870's which are both more powerful than your single 6850. If I max metro my frames drop to 40ish FPS. But if I run antialiasing @ AAA and turn of DoF I get 70+ FPS @ 1080p.
m
l
September 3, 2011 9:44:22 AM

Windows starts up fast because of blu ray?
m
l
September 3, 2011 10:18:40 AM

the minimum FPS deemed to be playable is 25 - below that and things get choppy. There are many reasons for slow or laggy game play - usually some software running in the background, and the most likely culprits are AV software or malware

Use task manager to see if there are any high load applications running, and also check if there are any AV scans etc
m
l
September 3, 2011 2:29:04 PM

Anti-Aliasing and sync every frame are both killers, for almost any graphics card really. Just turn those off :)  Plus, you'll barely notice a difference....
m
l
September 3, 2011 2:29:59 PM

It'll be your SSD giving you fast boot-ups mate, not your Bluray drive (which has nothing to do with loading the OS beyond the initial install). :) 

Your graphics card is good, but it's mid-range. Metro 2033 is one of those games that'll suck everything it can out of your system, so if you're firing on max settings I'm not surprised that you're getting low frame-rates. A bit gutting to hear when you've bought a nice system, but it is a demanding game.
m
l
September 3, 2011 6:58:53 PM

You guys all seemed to have misread the system specs :

Quote:
2x Radeon HD6850 in Xfire

He has 2 6850's not 1 !!
m
l
September 4, 2011 1:17:30 AM

If then, with DoF on, it's going to hurt performance. Even with two 6970's in crossfire, if you use the benchmark program, it will dip into the high 20's. Metro 2033 is no joke.
m
l
!