Sign in with
Your question

Stuttering while gaming

Last response: in Video Games
September 1, 2011 6:53:30 PM

I built a new computer a month ago, and this problem just started a few days ago. When playing games (The Witcher, SC2, Borderlands, etc.) everything starts out fine (60 FPS) but gradually begins stuttering every 5 seconds or so, and FPS drops as well.

I have been monitoring temperatures and everything is fine. I have also been monitoring GPU usage with Afterburner, and what I've noticed is that the GPU usage % drops down from like 50% in these games to around 0 to 10% when the computer stutters. CPU usage is stable, however, and no random processes stand out as resource-hogging.

Here is the strangest part. If I play SC2 and then tab to another application, even while keeping the game running and in fullscreen in the background (i.e. I can still see the game running fine, though behind another application window), then GPU usage is stable and the game does not stutter.

This may or may not be related, but I also get periodic stuttering when typing messages in Pidgin. It only seems to happen with Pidgin.

I have reinstalled every driver that I could possibly have reinstalled, so that's not the problem.

Here is roughly what I have:

i5 2500K
BIOSTAR TP67B+
2 x 4 GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600 RAM
GTX 460
Corsair TX650 V2
Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB WD6401AALS

What the hell is wrong?

More about : stuttering gaming

September 2, 2011 4:13:23 AM

Yea I think you might've installed some parts incorecctly, in the sense that they were not put in the best way for optimal performance. Just take it in to your computer shop and let them take a look, its probably a hardware problem, maybe a couple loose wires or something. Take it in, and see what happens
m
l
September 2, 2011 4:55:37 AM

I have a suspician that it could be the card model, The gtx4xx series arnt a popular build and wasnt long till the 5 series replaced them, I have a gtx470 that does the same thing on some games and it annoys the crap out of me.
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2011 5:06:33 AM

HINDYhat said:
This may or may not be related, but I also get periodic stuttering when typing messages in Pidgin. It only seems to happen with Pidgin.

What?
m
l
September 2, 2011 11:24:47 AM

So, almost all the games have the same problem. This may be the issue with the card.
Have you got warranty for it ? You should get it repaired.
m
l
September 2, 2011 5:28:49 PM

Quote:
I have a suspician that it could be the card model

I doubt it. I've had this card for about a year now, and it has been performing well. It's the only part in this computer that isn't completely new.

Quote:
What?

Pidgin is an instant messaging client. When I type a message in a conversation, the displaying of text as I'm typing stutters.

I asked a friend of mine yesterday, and he gave me a procedure to rule out certain pieces of hardware. First was to run prime95, so I started it up and noticed that my CPU core temperatures instantly rose to 100 C. I didn't know if this was bad or not, so I turned it off and shut down my computer to see if the CPU fan was running properly, and it was. Then, the system would shut down a few seconds after startup (I could access the BIOS but it would still shut down).

I removed a stick of RAM, and the system booted properly, and it seemed that everything was fixed. So today I ran several memtests on both of my sticks alone, together, and in different slots, and all tests returned no errors. Just installed both sticks as they were in the beginning, and I don't see any stuttering so far. Will report back if the problem returns.
m
l
October 10, 2011 10:53:44 AM

Did you find a fix? I am having same stutter problem on new i5 2500k build. Do you still have stuttering when framerate locked @ 60 FPS with Vsync on?
m
l
October 13, 2011 1:24:15 AM

Well just to confirm one thing, 100C on an i5 whether on startup or at any time is a VERY BAD thing, as the TJ max (the max temp your CPU can handle) on the i5 2500k is 98C... Yea and it might be because you overloaded your RAM, I read up and one of the side effects or problems you can have from installing too much RAM is screen flickering. Dont ask me why, its just what I read :p 
m
l
!