Detroit Free Press article about EQ2 and WoW

WoW pwnz EQ in every gaming aspect.

"Batchild (Sue M.)" <batchild1@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote in message
> The November 19 edition of the Detroit Free Press has an article about
> EQ2 and WoW titled, "Conquer a virtual world: 2 new titles offer
> different paths to gaming greatness". It rates EQ2 as 2 out of 4
> stars and WoW as 4 out of 4 stars. The complete article is available
> on-line at:
>
> http://www.freep.com/money/tech/newman19e_20041119.htm
>

> http://members.cox.net/batchild1
> http://members.cox.net/scorseseinfo

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:56:08 +0100, "The Uber Nuker"
<faultytowers@powers.com> wrote:

>WoW pwnz EQ in every gaming aspect.

*twitch* Folks like yourself are why I'm almost ashamed of the fact
that I prefer WoW... Like 'em both, just prefer WoW.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:56:08 +0100, "The Uber Nuker"
> <faultytowers@powers.com> wrote:
>
>>WoW pwnz EQ in every gaming aspect.
>
> *twitch* Folks like yourself are why I'm almost ashamed of the fact
> that I prefer WoW... Like 'em both, just prefer WoW.

Heh - I'm with you here. With any luck,
morons like UN won't be on the RP server.
I have no illusions that it will be all
sweetness and light there - but I'm hoping
the stricter naming rules and chat rules
will help out.

Interestingly, I didn't think the article
justified the rating - from her description
in the text I would have thought she'd go
for 3 and 3.5 (WoW has to lose something for
the worry that the quick leveling pace will
allow people to get to the endgame content
(and through it) before there is more. Also,
the designers are trying to make grouping the
more effective leveling method after 30 by
increasing the XP award from instance mobs.)

--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw

Dhargo, 19th Paladin
Bosra and his pal Spike, 11th Hunter
WoW ST Testserver 8

The Uber Nuker wrote:
> WoW pwnz EQ in every gaming aspect.

So are you gonna be a Troll in WoW too?

Oh wait, you're a troll every where you go.

"Batchild (Sue M.)" <batchild1@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote in message
> The November 19 edition of the Detroit Free Press has an article about
> EQ2 and WoW titled, "Conquer a virtual world: 2 new titles offer
> different paths to gaming greatness". It rates EQ2 as 2 out of 4
> stars and WoW as 4 out of 4 stars. The complete article is available
> on-line at:

Having played both for a month or so I vastly prefer wow. Wow may not have
much depth though . I have not been above level 30 of 60 in wow and have not
yet seen the endgame. It is possible that wow will only be a 4 month game ,
i just dont know yet.

Batchild (Sue M.) wrote:
> The November 19 edition of the Detroit Free Press has an article about
> EQ2 and WoW titled, "Conquer a virtual world: 2 new titles offer
> different paths to gaming greatness". It rates EQ2 as 2 out of 4
> stars and WoW as 4 out of 4 stars. The complete article is available
> on-line at:
>
> http://www.freep.com/money/tech/newman19e_20041119.htm
>

> http://members.cox.net/batchild1
> http://members.cox.net/scorseseinfo

The slow leveling aspect of EQ2 is what will make the game last. I
played EQ for 2 years, and got 1 char passed 60. I'm not a power-gamer
in that I want to level as fast as possible or be the best at just one
thing. I took the time to enjoy all of the aspects of EQ and it's what
I will be doing in EQ2. She's right about one thing, both games are
catering to different audiences and therefore offer different game
experience.

The paradox in WoW is that it's an MMORPG that will allow you to play
solo for the entire game. Isn't that what a single player game is for?

"hughes" <hughesiv@earthlink.net> wrote in

> "Batchild (Sue M.)" <batchild1@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote in message
>> The November 19 edition of the Detroit Free Press has an article
>> about EQ2 and WoW titled, "Conquer a virtual world: 2 new titles
>> offer different paths to gaming greatness". It rates EQ2 as 2 out of
>> 4 stars and WoW as 4 out of 4 stars. The complete article is
>> available on-line at:
>
> Having played both for a month or so I vastly prefer wow. Wow may not
> have much depth though . I have not been above level 30 of 60 in wow
> and have not yet seen the endgame. It is possible that wow will only
> be a 4 month game , i just dont know yet.

Indeed - but it looks to be a fun 4 months - easily
worth the price of admission IMO. Heck, CoH only lasted
me 2 months - but I still don't regret buying it.

--

Sean Kennedy wrote:

> Indeed - but it looks to be a fun 4 months - easily
> worth the price of admission IMO. Heck, CoH only lasted
> me 2 months - but I still don't regret buying it.

I'm unexpectedly looking at another two months of online time before I
lose connection till July... so I'm thinking of getting COH. A two
month game would be about perfect! And at that, I'd be getting away
with murder compared to most non-online games I buy, which tend to last
about a week, for a comperable amount of money.

Not to mention I just took the kids to see The Incredibles, and between
that and Mystery Men, a city full of heroes doesn't seem out of line!

It's a little tough to accept her comparison since she spent 9 months
testing WoW and only started the EQ2 beta in October. That doesn't
invalidate her opinion, but it does put it in context. Personally I
don't really like either one enough to buy them, just to show my bias.

Submitted by: Gauche
This message was submitted through the Erollisi Marr Forum

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:56:08 +0100, The Uber Nuker wrote:

> WoW pwnz EQ in every gaming aspect.

Isn't the correct dewd spelling of your name "Ubah Nukah"?
--
RJB
11/22/2004 8:57:40 AM

Income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf
--Will Rogers

Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in

> Sean Kennedy wrote:
>

>> Indeed - but it looks to be a fun 4 months - easily
>> worth the price of admission IMO. Heck, CoH only lasted
>> me 2 months - but I still don't regret buying it.
>>
> I'm unexpectedly looking at another two months of online time before I
> lose connection till July... so I'm thinking of getting COH. A two
> month game would be about perfect! And at that, I'd be getting away
> with murder compared to most non-online games I buy, which tend to
> last about a week, for a comperable amount of money.
>
> Not to mention I just took the kids to see The Incredibles, and
> between that and Mystery Men, a city full of heroes doesn't seem out
> of line!

Heck - you get more out of character creation alone than
a lot of stand alone games :)

--

RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in news:1kesb7x65z3wc
$.dlg@robartle.nospam.hotmail.com:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:56:08 +0100, The Uber Nuker wrote:
>
>> WoW pwnz EQ in every gaming aspect.
>
> Isn't the correct dewd spelling of your name "Ubah Nukah"?

Maybe he just got in too many KF's under that
one ......

--

"Steve" <saw2814.remove@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> You forgot a couple.
>
> EQ2: The place to play so long as you meet the strict
> code of the overly anal.
> EQ2: Where the name police meet.
> EQ2: Play here to feed the grammar Nazi inside you.
>

> Really though it just amazes me how a bunch of folks that play a game to
> just relax can get so uptight over a few words and some creative spelling.
> But maybe they don't play to relax or to escape from the daily grind for a
> an hour or two. Maybe this is the best and most important part of their
> lives so anything that does not fit the tiny little mold they have for it
> creates huge stress for them.

Serious questions for you:

What do you think is the utility of l33t speak? Why do you think people do
it?

In article <MPG.1c0c21a2b4b790f59898c2@shawnews>, 42 wrote:
> Yes and no. The origin of A$$, is as you say to avoid filters, but this is
> not in quite the same catogory as 3lit3 d00d sp34k.
>
> Its merely another manifestation of a group of people trying to be
> 'special', on par with any other "youth dialect".
>
> In d00d sp34ks case, its was primarily perpetrated by script kiddies
> posturing as hackers; the more obtuse the spelling, and the more numbers
> ad ascii symbols they could incorporate the more elite they were.

And as far as hackers go, my recollection from my hacking days is that if we
played games with the character set like that, it was generally just in
signatures, and served as a way to personalize them. A typical mainframe
terminal only had one typeface, so that was about the only way to
personalize a signature.

--
--Tim Smith

"Steve" <saw2814.remove@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> You forgot a couple.
>
> EQ2: The place to play so long as you meet the strict
> code of the overly anal.
> EQ2: Where the name police meet.
> EQ2: Play here to feed the grammar Nazi inside you.
>

> Really though it just amazes me how a bunch of folks that play a game
> to just relax can get so uptight over a few words and some creative
> spelling.

You misspelled lazy.

And you top posted. Don't do that.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

Dearic - Dwarven Warlord on E'ci
Talynne - Half Elf Assassin on E'ci

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <KCyod.10237$Qh3.2098@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com says...
> In article <MPG.1c0c21a2b4b790f59898c2@shawnews>, 42 wrote:
> > Yes and no. The origin of A$$, is as you say to avoid filters, but this is
> > not in quite the same catogory as 3lit3 d00d sp34k.
> >
> > Its merely another manifestation of a group of people trying to be
> > 'special', on par with any other "youth dialect".
> >
> > In d00d sp34ks case, its was primarily perpetrated by script kiddies
> > posturing as hackers; the more obtuse the spelling, and the more numbers
> > ad ascii symbols they could incorporate the more elite they were.
>
> And as far as hackers go, my recollection from my hacking days is that if we
> played games with the character set like that, it was generally just in
> signatures, and served as a way to personalize them. A typical mainframe
> terminal only had one typeface, so that was about the only way to
> personalize a signature.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. (the signatures bit at least),
hackers never actually talked like that, they did use the number and
extended ascii set though (the script kiddies had to get the idea
somwhere!!), but they used them sparingly, mostly in signatures and
handles, as you said.

I had to "look up" pwnz in the Urban Dictionary - read Urban =
illiterate. The word likely started with a typo, hitting a p instead
of an o and being too cool to admit you just hit the wrong key -
heeheehee.

Julie

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 02:11:09 -0800, Dark Tyger
<darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:56:08 +0100, "The Uber Nuker"
><faultytowers@powers.com> wrote:
>
>>WoW pwnz EQ in every gaming aspect.
>
>*twitch* Folks like yourself are why I'm almost ashamed of the fact
>that I prefer WoW... Like 'em both, just prefer WoW.

On 21 Nov 2004 15:41:53 GMT, Sean Kennedy <x@y.z> wrote:

Actually, I read UN's other threads after I posted my response, and he
can speak proper English. I retract my comment - heeheehee.

Julie

<SNIP>