System will not boot

G

I just put together a system useing an iWill KA266r mobo & an athlon 1 ghz processor (266 fsb).

I put everything together and set the cpu multiplier jumpers to "auto" and the bus speed to 133 mhz. When I turn the system on all I get is an error beep once every two seconds or so. If I manually set the cpu multiplier to 7x I do not get the error beep, but the system does not boot. Nothing at all comes over the video card.

I have tried removeing all the unessesary periferals so right now there is nothing in the system except the video card (I have tried two different ones I know work, one agp and one pci).

What could I possibly be missing - and what is the error beep trying to tell me?

Muchas gracias!
Caleb

G

update:

The error beep I get is the continuus long beep, which on iWills site is labeled "DRAM hasn't inset correctly." - whatever that means.

I am useing two each 256meg sticks of NEC DDR ram. I have tried useing just one piece, and tried reseating it a bunch of times.

Ideas anybody? I'm more at a loss than I was before.

Caleb

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChiefWorks on 08/12/01 03:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

perhaps the ram is dead. Do you have another pc from which you could test the ram from? Try that. If that doesn't work try phoning the retailer you baught the mobo from. Tell them you're having this prob and the slots may be defective. They might help you. You must have some kind of warentee and they should be willing to atleast give it a look. Hope something works for you. Good luck! Post a status report later.

Comparing AMD and Intel is like comparing a Ferrari to a Model-T…there’s no comparison.

G

Ok Problems solved. The problem was simple - NEC Ram is NOT compatable with this motherboard. NEC has taken some shortcuts and left out some things from the sdram specs, and this motherboard will not tollerate that. I purchased some nanya ram and all was well.

Thanks for helping everybody!