Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard replacement question...

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2001 7:12:45 PM

I've got an aging computer, P-II 450, which I have upgraded to the best of my abilities, now the only thing I can do at this point is get a new processor and motherboard... right now I've got an Intel P-II motherboard, and I was wanting to put in a new EPoX 8K7A w/ a 1.4 GHz T-bird and 256 MB of DDR RAM. My question is this: can I just unplug everything from the old motherboard, put in the new motherboard, chip, and memory, and it will just run? It seems logical to me that this would be the case, but I've never done such a thing, and I didn't know if I would have to do anything special. Anyone willing to help an Ignoramus? :) 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2001 7:51:22 PM

Anyone? A simple "Yes, this will work, you idiot" would be fine! :) 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2001 8:02:09 PM

Yes, this will work... you idiot!!

But seriously, doing a format on your hard drive and a fresh install of Windows (or whatever OS you're using) would be the best way to go, in my opinion. You can uninstall any drivers for your old MB, then power down and swap boards/CPU's, but could run into problems with drivers that didn't properly uninstall etc. I'm not an expert, but again, recommend a clean install to avoid a lot of possible problems.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2001 10:12:17 PM

"Yes, this will work, you idiot"
The easiest way is to go into safe mode and remove all the divices from device manager, replace the motherboard and processor, then start it and let windows detect the new hardware.

Video killed my Radio Card!
August 12, 2001 11:11:40 PM

Yes! This will work you idiot!

It had to be said.

<b><font color=blue>Change the</font color=blue><font color=red> sig of</font color=red><font color=green> the week!</font color=green> :tongue: </b>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2001 11:30:14 PM

i'll go with the general concencius because it's true. "yes it'll work you un-smart person;)"

But you did say it's aging so you might wanna get new case aswell. Make sure the p/s is approved by amd! Oh yeah a nice clean format is highly reccemended by me. You might aswell start with a clean slate!

----
Comparing AMD and Intel is like comparing a Ferrari to a Model-T…there’s no comparison.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2001 1:38:57 AM

Smoking upgrade..... but be aware that AMD's have a 300 watt PS minimum requirement.

Wine, women, and Multiple Processors
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2001 3:24:05 AM

Thanks everyone.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2001 3:36:39 AM

i have a similar question. will i run into problems if i change mobo, processor, and ram, and just immeadeately go into windows setup and reinstall windows on a hard drive with windows and programs already on it?
!