A7M266 vs. A7A266

G

Whats the difference in these to mobo's? How are they stability and preformance? How good are they in support for various hardware? I'm considering what the advantage (if any) would be to take the more expensive mobo. I'd appreciate comments from expearince or readong. Thanks in advance!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Performance freaks like the A7M266, compatablity freaks like the A7A266. The ALi chipset is unsurpassed for compatablity compared to other Athlon boards. But the A7M266 gives about 2-3% better performance. The A7M has the horrific VIA 686B southbridge, but the excellent AMD761 Northbridge.
Because I use a lot of different cards with a constantly changing configuration, I prefer the A7A266. I really don't care much about 2-3% performance difference.

Video killed my Radio Card!

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Well you are not comparing exact spec mainboards. What I mean is that the A7M266 is DDR, while A7A266 is DDR AND SD RAM. The A7M266 is a great board for a DDR based system, one I would rank up there with the other top 2 (KG7-RAID and DXR).

G

Well actually I'm also wondering the preformance of ddr vs. adram. I mean the mobo's are more cheaper and the ram is aswell. If it really worth going up to a ddr mobo? I mean is the preformance noticibly superior?

Teknoman

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001
asus is suppose to be making a better performance increase with ddr about 9 percent in the next bios well thats what i was told(i cant remember who)