new mobo and case experience

So ok i got my new board. GA-7DXR.

problems: there are NO jumpers to set the FSB so it is stuck at 100mhz???? i don't know but there are no jumpers to set the fsb. does anyone else have this? It says in the manual jumper 20 and 19 but those jumpers seem to have been removed? i don't get it.

I can only clock my fsb up to 110 after that it freezes my computer. I have Corsiar PC2400RAM CAS2.

It has already rebooted once on me while doing a benchmark?

the power supply cable hangs over the cpu fan. nothing i can do about it.

pros: my cpu temp dropped from 50 C to 30 C! just by changing motherboards. I have a duron 700 btw.

the case! CI-9106 Penguin ATX Full Tower Case
http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/doc/ci9106.html

cons: little room to install/uninstall heatsink. you litterally have to remove the motherboard tray (has a slide out tray so you don't have to take out all the cards and whatnot) in order to get the heatsink off/on!

It is very crambed where the power supply is.

the floppy light is on all the time. I've done this stuff for years and the cables are in right and everything. Only thing i can think of is that the cable is bad. no way the floppy drive is bad because it worked in my other case.

pros: lots of places to put things however 13 bays it would offly crowded in there!

overall experience:
The board booted up just fine with zero problems. the case however was a little rough but i like a challenge now and then. So far i'm wondering about the FSB if it auto detects or if it is set to 100mhz because those jumpers are missing. I will be super pissed if it is stuck at 100mhz. with the surprises i found for the lacking of hardware right now i'm giving it a 5 out of 10 experience. I was not pleased at all with those jumpers missing! I'll write gigabyte and see what they say and also the vendor.

Have fun!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
problems: there are NO jumpers to set the FSB so it is stuck at 100mhz???? i don't know but there are no jumpers to set the fsb. does anyone else have this? It says in the manual jumper 20 and 19 but those jumpers seem to have been removed? i don't get it.
This is bizarre. I'd get a hold of a couple of jumpers and try out the different settings as outlined in the manual. Without the jumpers no telling what it's defaulting to.

the floppy light is on all the time.

Just for shi%s and grins what happens when you reverse the cable? I know you said you've done it, I'm just wondering.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

no there aren't even a place to put the jumpers i mean there is no hardware there! there are no pins nothing nada zip zilch zippy. heh

as for the floppy, this morning i thought the cables must be on backwards.. so i looked at the motherboard and those were fine and then i go and look by the floppy and noticed there are notches on both sides. see usually the red cable goes toward the power connector but with the floppy it is the opposite. I always get confused with the floppys' because they are mixed on which side you plug in the cable... just a matter of trial and error.

I left my computer on this morning and we shall see how stable it is.

I wrote the vendor and we shall see if he has some answers. I hope it isn't stuck at 100mhz. why the hell would they do that for!

Have fun!

I think i found another way to set the FSB! It is CLK_SW dip switches they are by the pci slots! Must have removed the jumpers in favor of the dip switches! Now i just gotta get home and check it out. I'm looking at the manual now and just now noticed it. There is a setting for up to 150mhz fsb! as opposed to the jumpers which are either 66/100/133 settings! Now this is sweet!

I'm getting happier with it now. Now when i get home and my puter still works i'll be very happy.

lol my otherboard i couldn't leave my computer on because it doesn't like sleep mode for some reason and there is nothing overclocked either. I leave it on i get home and it is locked up in sleep mode everytime!

Have fun!

G

If people actually read the MB book things would be very quiet in THG

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

lol good point.

I didn't even relise it though. The point of the post was to give my reviews of the motherboard and the case I bought to help people decide on a decision on a motherboard. Say someone was looking at this board but wasn't sure to get it or not. So i gave an honest non-biased view of it. So far it is a great board. I have to look into why it rebooted like it did during a benchmark though.

Think first, if you have nothing worth more then a dollar don't say anything at all.

G

I was checking the GA 7DXR and the epox 8k7a+ raid as I believe they are the greatest boards for overclocking with the AMD chipset and both very stable. So many features on both of them, I had to buy the Epox as the Giga was way to expensive (by 36%) and not widely available here in Australia. But I am not disapointed at all. One thing I have noticed on the epox is the amount of board settings and bios settings that are available, has to be carefully researched as one wrong jumper or setting and all hell and confusion breaks loose. Yes but before telling everyone your opinions please make sure its not a oversight as that board is excellent if it is set right, one step at a time from default, patience is the virtue my friend.
It prolly re-booted because it is unstable due to fsb and even voltage on the ram.

IMHO these new high end boards must be well researched to set them up properly.

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

I agree.

I did plan to update it later ... hmmm perhaps i should have waited until i got all the bugs out and checked every last detail.

The RAM voltage is set to 2.5, you think i should set to 2.6? if anything it'll make it more stable wouldn't it? The cpu voltage is right though 1.5 ... i haven't checked the agp voltage though!

Think first, if you have nothing worth more then a dollar don't say anything at all.

G

Like i said, get it stable at default and make sure the jumpers and bios are right. 2.5v I think is fine for now, from what I have seen DDR dont like too much more.
Whats that CPU you have?
Ya crushed one before didnt you, hey join the AMD key chain club...Live and learn I say heh.

Once yer stable make one move at a time :smile:

I have a duron 700.
I have corsair PC2400 CAS2 256MB.

actually my t-bird was running fine but i didn't wanna take the risk so i sent it back and they are gonna replace it.

G

ok your lucky, give that duron some stick then.lol

G

ok your lucky, give that duron some stick then.lol

Good luck....