Netgear Firewall + WOL = cool

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I set up my Netgear FM114P Wireless Cable Firewall/Print Server to allow me to boot and remote control my desktop from work! I have a D-Link WOL NIC on my PC.

It took me a while to figure out how to do the wake-on-LAN stuff, so if anyone wants help figuring out how to do this, let me know and I'll break it down for ya!

-DOOM

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
No, but I had to tell the firewall to allow incoming UDP packets on a specific port. That way, when I send the wake up packet from work, I issue it to that port and the firewall forward-broadcasts the packet to my entire network at home.

I had to write a utility to send the magic packet, because I couldn't find one that worked well. Basically, it takes the IP address of my router (e.g. 55.55.55.55), a port number (e.g. 9), and the MAC address of my desktop's NIC. It builds a magic wake up packet using the supplied MAC address and sends it over UDP to 55.55.55.55:9.

The firewall receives the UDP packet on port 9, and broadcasts it to 192.168.0.0 (entire subnet). My desktop's NIC recognizes the magic message with the matching MAC address and powers on the system.

Do you have a WOL card? Let me know if you need help configuring things...

-DOOM

witzbold

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

fustonh@me.com

I am pulling my hair out here trying to figure this stuff out. I thought I was pretty computer and router savvy, but I am lately feeling retarded. I came across your post and I am hoping you would be able to help me. All I am trying to do is send a magic packet over the internet to wake up one of my wired computers. It works fine at home behind the router but for some reason I am having no luck over the internet. I would really really appreciate any help you might be willing to give me and maybe (just maybe) I will walk away from this ordeal with hair left on my head.

Heath

Given how old this thread is, I have no idea what kind of device the OP was using or how it ever worked. But what I can say about *modern* routers is that most, for security reasons, do not allow access to the broadcast IP x.x.x.255 from the WAN side of the router. Thus, WOL will never work remotely.

That said, you can configure a dd-wrt router w/ remote WOL using the instructions in the following threads (those are my comments to other ppl having similar troubles w/ dd-wrt -- it can be tricky for a first timer, but it does work w/ dd-wrt).

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=514681
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=506550

HTH