How to find the age of HP/Compaq proliant servers

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b α HP
August 25, 2005 7:59:27 AM

I am trying to find out how old the hardware is in some proliant
servers.
I've been told about the serial scheme for 12 digit serial numbers but
most of them are now 10 digits.

Does any know of a similar scheme for these 10 digit serials or know of
another way?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 25, 2005 11:26:38 AM

Problem is i can't physically get to these servers.
Do you know of a way of finding this info from a serial number or
anything else?
Thanks
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 25, 2005 5:22:02 PM

The hard way is to open up the chassis of the computer, find a large chip on the
motherboard, and then find the manufacturing date printed on the chip. Many
Compaq boxes also manufacturing dates stamped in ink on the insides of the
panels of the chassis... Ben Myers

On 25 Aug 2005 03:59:27 -0700, "kirst" <kirst99@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am trying to find out how old the hardware is in some proliant
>servers.
>I've been told about the serial scheme for 12 digit serial numbers but
>most of them are now 10 digits.
>
>Does any know of a similar scheme for these 10 digit serials or know of
>another way?
>
>Thanks

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 26, 2005 12:03:15 AM

"kirst" <kirst99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Problem is i can't physically get to these servers.
> Do you know of a way of finding this info from a serial number or
> anything else?
> Thanks

Try here: http://h40059.www4.hp.com/warranty/index.php

go to "View warranty entitlement" and enter product number and serial
number.

I know its for warranty, but it might give the date warranty expired (or it
might not...haven't go old kit to try it with). But if it does give a date
then maybe you can work out the age e.g. Warranty expiration date minus 1
year or whatever. Worth a try???
!