Low performance issues on a good machine

innerchaos

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hi, first time visitor here, name's Octave.

My specs are:

Operating System:
Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
CPU Type:
AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor
CPU Speed:
3.37 GHz
System Memory:
8 GB
Video Card Model:
AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series -6970
Video Card Memory:
1.73 GB
Video Card Driver:
aticfx32.dll
Desktop Resolution:
1920x1080
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3

And I'm having bad fps in some games such as World of Warcraft, Deus Ex-HR, Dragon Age 2, Rift and some other games while getting solid 50-60 fps in Crysis 2 with ultra settings and DX11 special DLC, Hi-res textures DLC.

So I'm guessing this is not an hardware issue because all those games I listed are using crappy older engines.

Is it because those games arent supporting my hardware setup? If so, is there a workaround for this?

Thanks.

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
It may just be that your drivers don't "play nice" with the before mentioned games. Roll your drivers back to a later version and see if the probem persits or is made worse.

bdizzle11

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

AA wouldnt kill his FPS in most of the games mentioned. He should be able to max out WoW and Deus Ex very easily. Drivers seems unlikely for that many games but I guess thats your best try right now.

innerchaos

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
if i roll back to older drivers then new games would give me problems

also, i've been told that these games don't support my processor and they perform better with older dual core processors

but there must be a workaround for this yes?

also, only tessellation is being overridden to 64X in my ATI control center, everything else's set to default and i strongly doubt WoW uses that feature.

and there was a weird problem i encountered with crysis 2

i launch the game in full screen mode, i get lower fps than usual(maxed settings with dx11 support)

when i press alt enter twice, fps goes back to normal

maybe it has something to do with my monitor?

i have samsung syncmaster BX2350

foshi13

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
That is a weird issue you are having. Is your CPU being throttled down at all? Run everything at default settings in the games and then up them to see where the problem may be coming from. I would also stress test the GPU and CPU with something like OCCT as that will give you a detailed report of any problems in the hardware.

Is your monitor running at 60hz or higher? Connected through HDMI or DVI/VGA?

innerchaos

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

hi,

i just downloaded the program you mentioned and ran a quick cpu scan

it says the test was completed without any problems

also i tried to run rift with the lowest settings except for the resolution and i had 35 fps, same as WoW

and the monitor is connected thru HDMI 1 port, i dont even have a vga cable

and the maximum refresh rate is 60 hz

there's an option in the ATI center which says enable gpu scaling and enable ITC processing

they're both ticked

also overscan feature is at 0%

cbrunnem

Distinguished

cores has nothing to do with it. six cores are useless as a quad core is sufficient but the cpu is unlocked and 3.37 isnt that high on bad architecture. it would hurt to overclock it.