Problem with uninstallation of programs

dsad

Distinguished
May 11, 2005
Hello!i'm new around here so this is going to my first post.i came here cause i need some help from all of you computer experts!i'm running windows xp service pack 2 on my computer, and i'm about to change my antivirus software. i have norton 2004, and i'm changing to nod32. well, since i have to uninstall norton first, i was about to do just that. but when i tried to use add/remove programs in control panel, the following happened. add/remove programs lists all the programs i have installed on my computer, but without change/remove tab. it seems i can't remove not single one of the programs installed. i don't know what's wrong! can anyone help??! thank you!

G

The first question that comes to my mind is:
Are you sure that you are using an account with administrator privleges and not a limited account?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by KlutZ on 05/11/05 02:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Try this:
<A HREF="http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm" target="_new">Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"</A>

<b>"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."</b> <b>Hunter S. Thompson, <b><i> Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas</i>, 1965.</b>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Or, do a google search, find and download this program ... read the "how to's" 1st: <b>moveonb.exe</b>

(It's called Move On Boot - let's you remove stuff before they get their claws into windows)

<b>"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."</b> <b>Hunter S. Thompson, <b><i> Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas</i>, 1965.</b>

dsad

Distinguished
May 11, 2005
yes. i'm logged as an administrator. i managed to remove one software that i couldn't. it was norton 2004 pro. i tried to install it, but new installation can not proceed before old version isn't removed. so that resolved my problem with norton, but other programs like acd system and other software that i installed about a week ago aren't deletable. the main problem, as i see it, is the lack of change/remove option within add/remove programs in windows control panel. i hope someone can help me with that chaos! :) thanks!

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Did you try add/remove in safe mode? Does the software app come with it's own uninstaller? Use msconfig to disable the prgm at start-up (if it is), then try to uninstall it ... [that's all I got]