Xbox controller for computer

Techboy17

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
So I love ps gaming but I'm not a big fan of the keyboard and mouse combination. On the other hand I love my xbox controller but I don't like the interface as much. Is there any way I can hook up my xbox controller for pc gaming?

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

Yes, you can use the xbox controller for pc gaming, for some games that are "controller-ready."

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Any Wired 360 controller should be pretty much plug-and-play on Win7, though you may need to get the drivers from the Microsoft website. Any game that supports gamepad/joystick control should work with it, more so if the game allows for key remapping. The Wireless controllers however require the wireless receiver, which MS stopped making some time ago, though you can find third party ones on eBay, I have not tried either version personally. Some have claimed to get the wireless to work through the play and charge kit, however I have never seen any proof of this working (I have tried with several controllers and several P&C cables with no success.)

The original Xbox controller would need an adapter to convert it to USB. You might still be able to find them online if needed, or if you can solder, you can splice one at home.

the xbox wired controller works fine for me on windows 7 64bit--it installs the drivers automatically as soon as you plug it in--got the controller off ebay with the usb connector for £11

the adaptor on its own if you already have the controller was about £3

mazinger4

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

If you are using any version of windows XP, Vista or 7, you should have no problem with a Xbox controller, as long as the game supports game controllers.
The Xbox controller is the best controller that you can use in a windows enviroment, remember that both are Microsoft products. Other brand controllers will also work, but most of them need configuration or programming, so leave those for the geeks.
Good Luck.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I would like to add that altough you can use your xbox controller on Windows, keep changing back and forward with your console may be really boring.

Microsfot sells an PC gamepad equal to the xbox. However, I recomend you check www.logitech.com they are the best when making PC acessories, including game pads. They have both gamepads in the xbox design and in the PS3 design, and they are on a very good price.