pc shuts down and can't stop it

Scan your PC for the presence of viruses and spyware:

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites

3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected:

Frequently Asked Questions About Antivirus Software
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

Support WebCast: How to obtain and install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2005
http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat1/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=641229&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=27674&CID=0&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=5549200000599570000074456

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP