MSI Afterburner v.2.2 (BETA)

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
For all those who (like me) may have been having issues with on-screen display of GPU Temp's/ fan speed/ usage, etc in DX11 games, MSI's Afterburner v2.2 (BETA) has fixed this problem (from what I was able to gather). The earlier version did not display the readings in-game and was a huge issue for me coz I couldn't monitor the various readings (especially with my super hot GPU!).

Just in case anyone else (like me) is fond of Afterburner, you can get the latest version.

which beta is this, beta 5 did not solve the problem, although Deus Ex HR allows me to monitor on a 2nd screen, whilst whitcher 2 doesn't, both through steam.

Also running a GTX470 and prefer my fan profile as it runs about 10C cooler.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Dunno which beta version it is, but it allows me to make the fan profile as desired. Will check back after looking it up tonight. But I prefer it over the previous versions as for some reason, my 470 does manage to stay under 85 at max loads! Earlier, it was touching 93.

Ouch, i'm running a profile with a shallow ramp up to about 65 and then steep up to 85 @80% and very steep up to 100%. It keeps me down to 81C in DE:HR at 2048x1152 maxed out. But I'm using a P180 case so I can afford the noise when gaming. I'm trying to ramp the fan up faster than the heat if you see what I mean. The standard profile was hitting 90+C on the same game before I realised I could use afterburner. I'll edit this when I turn the desktop on as you might want to try that profile.

profile in-case you were interested.
30% up to 50C
50% at 65C
65% at 80C
90% at 90C flat to 100C

Beta 7 Didn't work for me on witcher2, will try a reboot,

Rebooted, no dice, witcher 2, mass effect 2 didn't work, mass effect 1 (where it used to work) crashed very oddly, Deus Ex:HR still working:)

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Hey thanks for the info! Would play around with the profile tonight! I was on the following:

upto 75C - 70%
at 80C - 80%
at 86C - 90%
at 90C - 100%

Considering the fact that at idle the temp hover's around 50-55C, I didn't do any tweaks till there. However, once any game is fired up, the temp shoots to 75-77 and gradually starts increasing. That's why I started at 75C. The problem is also a little due to my case. It's not one with 'decent' airflow, despite 3 fans. I've started running the aircon in the room now which, I'm sure, is a major reason for the temp's staying under 85-87.

An air-conditioner to keep the temp's under control.....wonder whether I should send this to the nVidia chaps!! Lol!

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

A little late, but I'm running BETA 6. :) Did you manage to resolve the issue?

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

Tried those figures, but didn't manage any better results. :( I guess it's probably the ambient temp's around the rig. Oh well, as long as it doesn't melt!