xp shell loads slow /sp2

I just installed the sp2 on my xp home operating system
and the time it takes the services and shell to load went
from a few seconds to almost a minute. Desktop icons load
slow. Whats up with that?

sys.spec.
Windows, XP, home, sp2, came with a HP Pavilion desktop
AMD 2400 cpu@roughly 2000 MHz
266 MHz bus speed
768 MBs PC2700 DDR SDRAM

I got the latest stuff from HP to fix what sp2 breaks when
it's fixing what wasn't broke in the first place.

http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm#SomecommonWindowsXPproblems

Good Luck!
---
How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindows.htm

Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Links to online virus scans on the same page)

"stevienicks" wrote:

> I just installed the sp2 on my xp home operating system
> and the time it takes the services and shell to load went
> from a few seconds to almost a minute. Desktop icons load
> slow. Whats up with that?
>
> sys.spec.
> Windows, XP, home, sp2, came with a HP Pavilion desktop
> AMD 2400 cpu@roughly 2000 MHz
> 266 MHz bus speed
> 768 MBs PC2700 DDR SDRAM
>
> I got the latest stuff from HP to fix what sp2 breaks when
> it's fixing what wasn't broke in the first place.

There isn't anything on that website that I haven't
already done.

I have the shortest list of startup programs known to man.

I have the best up-to-date anti-virus and anti spyware
programs running and BIOS Guardian. I regularly delete
unneeded folders, files, registry items, logs and caches
w/ Ace Utilities( I even restored the files/ registry
items I removed just prior to installing sp2 to see if
that was the cause. It wasn't). I have no disk errors and
regularly defrag. I ran bootvis to optimize the boot
process... logon+services+shell take over a minute to
load.
My question was not a general question relating to a
problem with XP starting slow as seems to be the theme of
the website you directed me to, rather, my XP ONLY became
slow AFTER installing SP2. The two are one in other words.

And, if I have to look for an update to every program I
have to see if they have an update for their program that
fixes compatibility issues with XPSP2 then I think little
ol' SP2 can hit the road.

Thanks anyway...

Please check CPU speed.
Defrag several times with restarts in-between.
Check Event Viewer (Start - > Settings -> Control Panel - > Administrative
Tools - > Event Viewer) for possible errors.
Check Device Manager for unknown/improperly installed devices; Update drivers.
“Shortest list of startup programs known to man� sounds good, but please
realize that I don’t know what’s in there….
Anyway … if you have a third-party firewall, make sure that the Windows
Firewall is off.
Update Antivirus.

Restart in Safe Mode and/or disconnect all peripherals, and see if it
improves performance.

--------------------------
I will not be checking this post. Please contact me via the website.

Oops! windows firewall was on..that may or may not be the
cause of slow loading, too early to tell. I had the
firewall turned off since it is useless to me but SP2 must
have turned it on. It should have detected that I had it
turned off and left it that way but Big Brother MS knows
whats best for me :-|

sounds good, but please
>realize that I donâ?Tt know whatâ?Ts in thereâ?¦.
>Anyway â?¦ if you have a third-party firewall, make sure
that the Windows
>Firewall is off.
>Update Antivirus.
>
>Restart in Safe Mode and/or disconnect all peripherals,
and see if it
>improves performance.

>I will not be checking this post. Please contact me via
the website.

>.

It is a good website actually...its going in the
favorites list.