Slowdown issues on brand new system

G

I cannot figure out what the heck is going on. For some reason my system experiences slowdowns when the cpu gets hit. A jump from 5% to 18% will cause the mouse to jerk and the MP3 player to have static.

My system is brand new, just got finished building it. Epox 8K7A+, 1.4 Ghz Athlon, Enermax 550W, Crucial 2 X 256 DDR PC2100, two Seagate 7200RPM HDDs running RAID 0, Intellimouse Explorer USB, Starforce GeForce 2 MX, Creative 52X, Mitsumi 2801TE CD-R, another 8 gig Seagate on the regular IDE connector as a backup, USR External 56K on Com 1 (No Win modem), I am using the onboard sound, I have a 3Com 905C installed but it is disabled at the moment since I don't need a network connection - I am using the latest drivers I could find (Four in one except AGP, AMD 1.20 driver for the North Bridge) The CPU stays at 104F and the temp in the case is 69F. What am I missing?!??!? I can sit here and watch the CPU jump about 10% and hear the static, and watch my mouse jerk every time.

HELP!

Thanks,
RushB

Rabs

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
I've heard mouse lag is a common problem with USB mice. The sound problem sounds like an IRQ problem. Check which device/s are sharing with it and change which slot the modem is in.

Hope this is of help...