Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HP Vectra VE...What OS?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 28, 2005 8:52:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Hi all,

I aquired a HP Vectra VE with the following spec from work:

266MHz Celeron
256MB RAM
36GB 10k RPM Maxtor SCSI Drive (Yep...I was surprised too!)
CD-ROM

What OS should I put on the drive? It has 98 1st Ed. at the moment. I
want to put it on my home network as a File and Print Server, and to Log
Weather Station data. I was thinking Win98SE for best running, or Win2K
at a push? Or would it be OK on Win2K?

Also, what is the maximum processor this system will take? The Board is
(As written on it) a "VL-609". It has a Slot 1 slot.

Thanks,

Neil

More about : vectra

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 29, 2005 2:15:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

"Neil Barras" <dontspamme@spammenot.com> skrev i en meddelelse
news:eZlQe.3386$t4.2932@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
>
> What OS should I put on the drive? It has 98 1st Ed. at the moment. I
> want to put it on my home network as a File and Print Server, and to Log
> Weather Station data. I was thinking Win98SE for best running, or Win2K at
> a push? Or would it be OK on Win2K?

I would go for Win2K (win98 is not stable enough for server use), and maybe
find some used RAM to get it up to 512MB.

> Also, what is the maximum processor this system will take? The Board is
> (As written on it) a "VL-609". It has a Slot 1 slot.

The motherboard has the Intel 440EX chipset, which only goes up to 66MHz
FSB, so Celeron 533Mhz is probably the fastest you kan use in it.

--
Esben
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 29, 2005 2:33:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...

> I aquired a HP Vectra VE with the following spec from work:

hm, may be Vectra VE 6/xxx Series 8. Should be intel 430BX chipset running
at either 66 or 100MHz.

> 266MHz Celeron
> 256MB RAM
> 36GB 10k RPM Maxtor SCSI Drive (Yep...I was surprised too!)
> CD-ROM
>
> What OS should I put on the drive? It has 98 1st Ed. at the moment. I
> want to put it on my home network as a File and Print Server, and to Log
> Weather Station data. I was thinking Win98SE for best running, or Win2K
> at a push? Or would it be OK on Win2K?

Win2k is OK with that machine. You may benefit from another 128megs or
256megs or so, depending on what you'll be doing. Of course, you can always
use linux which is free, not much more difficult than any professional
Windows version and needs far less resources especially for server
processes, called "daemons".

> Also, what is the maximum processor this system will take? The Board is
> (As written on it) a "VL-609". It has a Slot 1 slot.

the manual (should be this:
http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
and
http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...)
mentions jumper settings for at least 500MHz which'd be PIII. The Katmai
core has been produced to up to 600 MHz (but it's running fairly hot at
that speed) so you may be able to either find out some undocumented jumper
settings or you cpu is multiplicator-locked, meaning that whatever jumper
settings you choose, the cpu speed won't change. I don't know whether this
machine will take coppermine PIIIs but if it does, you should be able to go
as high as 1GHz without worrying about heat (the coppermines are pretty
powersaving devices).

HTH

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. -
Scotty, "Star Trek, (Friday's Child)"
Related resources
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 29, 2005 2:33:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

<snip>

From what I have read on Crucial, the max RAM it will take is 384MB, and I
have another 128MB stick that I would use, if someone hadn't previously
removed the bay for the 3rd DIMM slot >:-( Will the machine accept 1x256
and 1x128 for a total of 384? Crucial says the board will take and run RAM
at 100MHz, so what CPU limit would that give me? Sorry for the questions,
but your answers confused me.
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 29, 2005 11:57:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

On the seventh day, Christian Dürrhauer wrote...

> intel 430BX chipset

440BX, of course
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 29, 2005 12:13:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...

> <snip>
>
> From what I have read on Crucial, the max RAM it will take is 384MB, and I
> have another 128MB stick that I would use, if someone hadn't previously
> removed the bay for the 3rd DIMM slot >:-( Will the machine accept 1x256
> and 1x128 for a total of 384? Crucial says the board will take and run RAM
> at 100MHz, so what CPU limit would that give me? Sorry for the questions,
> but your answers confused me.

that is because you didn't mention the exact p/n of your machine ;-)

I've googled again and I now agree to Esben. Before, I thought you could
have a Vectra VE Series 8 which I now believe to be a Vectra VE C/xxx
Series 7. That means:
-Your FSB seems to be stuck at 66MHz (so the only CPUs you may add are
Deschutes PII as high as 333MHz but they have more 2nd level cache which
will increase server speed) and
-the max RAM you can put in is limited to 256megs (that would be more than
enough for linux use).
-PIII are not supported (they aren't setup properly through the system's
BIOS).

The Deschutes PII overall are good performers though not state of the art.
They usually sell for one buck on ebay. Prefer one that already has a hsf
combo on it that match the appearance of your current HP hsf combo. Don't
go with Klamath PII as they are really powerhungry and run very hot!

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin

You draw far too much attention to yourself...Mister Underhill!ö
- Aragorn
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 29, 2005 1:38:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Well, funny you said that, cos I also picked up an old Dell Workstation
400 with that very CPU in it! Should I swap it with the Celery?
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 29, 2005 9:45:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...

> Well, funny you said that, cos I also picked up an old Dell Workstation
> 400 with that very CPU in it! Should I swap it with the Celery?

have a look at
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp...
and be happy what you have for a valuable item there...

If you need to go for less power consumption for your server, choose the
Vectra but if you want some more performance as well, take the Dell, taken
that it works flawlessly.

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin

Hard work spotlights the character of people; some turn up their
sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all!
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 29, 2005 10:12:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

"Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
news:fu8qutbckzuh$.dlg@73137.user.dfncis.de...
> On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...
>
>> Well, funny you said that, cos I also picked up an old Dell Workstation
>> 400 with that very CPU in it! Should I swap it with the Celery?
>
> have a look at
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp...
> and be happy what you have for a valuable item there...
>
> If you need to go for less power consumption for your server, choose the
> Vectra but if you want some more performance as well, take the Dell, taken
> that it works flawlessly.

Went for the HP in the end. The IDE on the Dell is knackered, and so is the
SCSI CD ROM drive. The SCSI Hard Disk came in the Dell, and I moved it,
formatted it and have Win2K on the Vectra now. Just trying to overcome some
ICS issues. I am using ICS from my wireless laptop as I don't have the
space in the Office for the PC at the moment due to room shifting.

I tried to swap the CPU's, but the P2 is in the black casing and needs the
retention clips from the dell to secure it and the HS, whereas the Celeron
is just held in place by retention clips on the HS. To swap them would mean
taking out both Motherboards and as I have the HP working now, I don't want
to screw it up with moving the Board.

Another question I have is, seeing as I wasn't eagle eyed enough to spot the
fact thar one of the RAM slots had been removed, will this system take 1x128
and 1x256 sticks for a total of 384? I really wish I had checked now,
because there were 2 other systems there that I could have taken instead!
D'oh!
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 30, 2005 2:51:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...

> Another question I have is, seeing as I wasn't eagle eyed enough to spot the
> fact thar one of the RAM slots had been removed, will this system take 1x128
> and 1x256 sticks for a total of 384?

no

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin

I was there, Gandalf. I was there three thousand years ago...
Isildur took the ring. I was there the day the strength of men
failed. - Elrond
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 30, 2005 2:51:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

"Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
news:1bkd9rsbf7yon$.dlg@73137.user.dfncis.de...
> On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...
>
>> Another question I have is, seeing as I wasn't eagle eyed enough to spot
>> the
>> fact thar one of the RAM slots had been removed, will this system take
>> 1x128
>> and 1x256 sticks for a total of 384?
>
> no

bugger...I'm stuck with 256MB then yes?
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 30, 2005 3:27:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...

> "Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
> news:1bkd9rsbf7yon$.dlg@73137.user.dfncis.de...
>> On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...
>>
>>> Another question I have is, seeing as I wasn't eagle eyed enough to spot
>>> the
>>> fact thar one of the RAM slots had been removed, will this system take
>>> 1x128
>>> and 1x256 sticks for a total of 384?
>>
>> no
>
> bugger...I'm stuck with 256MB then yes?

yes, you are stuck with that amount of memory. It's a chipset limitation.

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin

Country song: How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?
!