HP Vectra VE...What OS?

Hi all,

I aquired a HP Vectra VE with the following spec from work:

266MHz Celeron
256MB RAM
36GB 10k RPM Maxtor SCSI Drive (Yep...I was surprised too!)
CD-ROM

What OS should I put on the drive? It has 98 1st Ed. at the moment. I
want to put it on my home network as a File and Print Server, and to Log
Weather Station data. I was thinking Win98SE for best running, or Win2K
at a push? Or would it be OK on Win2K?

Also, what is the maximum processor this system will take? The Board is
(As written on it) a "VL-609". It has a Slot 1 slot.

Thanks,

Neil
11 answers Last reply
More about vectra what

    "Neil Barras" <dontspamme@spammenot.com> skrev i en meddelelse

    > What OS should I put on the drive? It has 98 1st Ed. at the moment. I
    > want to put it on my home network as a File and Print Server, and to Log
    > Weather Station data. I was thinking Win98SE for best running, or Win2K at
    > a push? Or would it be OK on Win2K?

    I would go for Win2K (win98 is not stable enough for server use), and maybe
    find some used RAM to get it up to 512MB.

    > Also, what is the maximum processor this system will take? The Board is
    > (As written on it) a "VL-609". It has a Slot 1 slot.

    The motherboard has the Intel 440EX chipset, which only goes up to 66MHz
    FSB, so Celeron 533Mhz is probably the fastest you kan use in it.

    --
    Esben

    On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...

    > I aquired a HP Vectra VE with the following spec from work:

    hm, may be Vectra VE 6/xxx Series 8. Should be intel 430BX chipset running
    at either 66 or 100MHz.

    > 266MHz Celeron
    > 256MB RAM
    > 36GB 10k RPM Maxtor SCSI Drive (Yep...I was surprised too!)
    > CD-ROM
    >
    > What OS should I put on the drive? It has 98 1st Ed. at the moment. I
    > want to put it on my home network as a File and Print Server, and to Log
    > Weather Station data. I was thinking Win98SE for best running, or Win2K
    > at a push? Or would it be OK on Win2K?

    Win2k is OK with that machine. You may benefit from another 128megs or
    256megs or so, depending on what you'll be doing. Of course, you can always
    use linux which is free, not much more difficult than any professional
    Windows version and needs far less resources especially for server
    processes, called "daemons".

    > Also, what is the maximum processor this system will take? The Board is
    > (As written on it) a "VL-609". It has a Slot 1 slot.

    the manual (should be this:
    http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpv04960/bpv04960.pdf
    and
    http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpv04960/bpv04960.pdf)
    mentions jumper settings for at least 500MHz which'd be PIII. The Katmai
    core has been produced to up to 600 MHz (but it's running fairly hot at
    that speed) so you may be able to either find out some undocumented jumper
    settings or you cpu is multiplicator-locked, meaning that whatever jumper
    settings you choose, the cpu speed won't change. I don't know whether this
    machine will take coppermine PIIIs but if it does, you should be able to go
    as high as 1GHz without worrying about heat (the coppermines are pretty
    powersaving devices).

    HTH

    Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. -
    Scotty, "Star Trek, (Friday's Child)"

    <snip>

    From what I have read on Crucial, the max RAM it will take is 384MB, and I
    have another 128MB stick that I would use, if someone hadn't previously
    removed the bay for the 3rd DIMM slot >:-( Will the machine accept 1x256
    and 1x128 for a total of 384? Crucial says the board will take and run RAM
    at 100MHz, so what CPU limit would that give me? Sorry for the questions,
    but your answers confused me.

    On the seventh day, Christian Dürrhauer wrote...

    > intel 430BX chipset

    440BX, of course

    On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...

    > <snip>
    >
    > From what I have read on Crucial, the max RAM it will take is 384MB, and I
    > have another 128MB stick that I would use, if someone hadn't previously
    > removed the bay for the 3rd DIMM slot >:-( Will the machine accept 1x256
    > and 1x128 for a total of 384? Crucial says the board will take and run RAM
    > at 100MHz, so what CPU limit would that give me? Sorry for the questions,
    > but your answers confused me.

    that is because you didn't mention the exact p/n of your machine ;-)

    I've googled again and I now agree to Esben. Before, I thought you could
    have a Vectra VE Series 8 which I now believe to be a Vectra VE C/xxx
    Series 7. That means:
    -Your FSB seems to be stuck at 66MHz (so the only CPUs you may add are
    Deschutes PII as high as 333MHz but they have more 2nd level cache which
    will increase server speed) and
    -the max RAM you can put in is limited to 256megs (that would be more than
    enough for linux use).
    -PIII are not supported (they aren't setup properly through the system's
    BIOS).

    The Deschutes PII overall are good performers though not state of the art.
    They usually sell for one buck on ebay. Prefer one that already has a hsf
    combo on it that match the appearance of your current HP hsf combo. Don't
    go with Klamath PII as they are really powerhungry and run very hot!

    You draw far too much attention to yourself...Mister Underhill!ö
    - Aragorn

    Well, funny you said that, cos I also picked up an old Dell Workstation
    400 with that very CPU in it! Should I swap it with the Celery?

    On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...

    > Well, funny you said that, cos I also picked up an old Dell Workstation
    > 400 with that very CPU in it! Should I swap it with the Celery?

    have a look at
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/pressoffice/en/1998/1998_02_04_rr_000?c=us&l=en&s=corp
    and be happy what you have for a valuable item there...

    If you need to go for less power consumption for your server, choose the
    Vectra but if you want some more performance as well, take the Dell, taken
    that it works flawlessly.

    Hard work spotlights the character of people; some turn up their
    sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all!

    "Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
    > On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...
    >
    >> Well, funny you said that, cos I also picked up an old Dell Workstation
    >> 400 with that very CPU in it! Should I swap it with the Celery?
    >
    > have a look at
    > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/pressoffice/en/1998/1998_02_04_rr_000?c=us&l=en&s=corp
    > and be happy what you have for a valuable item there...
    >
    > If you need to go for less power consumption for your server, choose the
    > Vectra but if you want some more performance as well, take the Dell, taken
    > that it works flawlessly.

    Went for the HP in the end. The IDE on the Dell is knackered, and so is the
    SCSI CD ROM drive. The SCSI Hard Disk came in the Dell, and I moved it,
    formatted it and have Win2K on the Vectra now. Just trying to overcome some
    ICS issues. I am using ICS from my wireless laptop as I don't have the
    space in the Office for the PC at the moment due to room shifting.

    I tried to swap the CPU's, but the P2 is in the black casing and needs the
    retention clips from the dell to secure it and the HS, whereas the Celeron
    is just held in place by retention clips on the HS. To swap them would mean
    taking out both Motherboards and as I have the HP working now, I don't want
    to screw it up with moving the Board.

    Another question I have is, seeing as I wasn't eagle eyed enough to spot the
    fact thar one of the RAM slots had been removed, will this system take 1x128
    and 1x256 sticks for a total of 384? I really wish I had checked now,
    because there were 2 other systems there that I could have taken instead!
    D'oh!

    On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...

    > Another question I have is, seeing as I wasn't eagle eyed enough to spot the
    > fact thar one of the RAM slots had been removed, will this system take 1x128
    > and 1x256 sticks for a total of 384?

    no

    I was there, Gandalf. I was there three thousand years ago...
    Isildur took the ring. I was there the day the strength of men
    failed. - Elrond

    > On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...
    >
    >> Another question I have is, seeing as I wasn't eagle eyed enough to spot
    >> the
    >> fact thar one of the RAM slots had been removed, will this system take
    >> 1x128
    >> and 1x256 sticks for a total of 384?
    >
    > no

    bugger...I'm stuck with 256MB then yes?

    On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...

    > "Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
    >> On the seventh day, Neil Barras wrote...
    >>
    >>> Another question I have is, seeing as I wasn't eagle eyed enough to spot
    >>> the
    >>> fact thar one of the RAM slots had been removed, will this system take
    >>> 1x128
    >>> and 1x256 sticks for a total of 384?
    >>
    >> no
    >
    > bugger...I'm stuck with 256MB then yes?

    yes, you are stuck with that amount of memory. It's a chipset limitation.

    Country song: How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?

Hewlett Packard Computers