Deus Ex: Human Revolution - battery issue

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I'm running the normal edition of the game (retail). I've upgraded the battery aug to maximum, meaning thereby that I now have maximum batteries in the slot.

The problem:
Only ONE battery is being used and the remaining batteries don't re-charge. I've also got the re-charge augmentation at maximum, so I guess the batteries should re-charge, right? But they're not!

Am I missing out something? Are there other's facing the same problem? If so, what is the fix, if any?

Thanks!

Solution
Yes, eating the bars will replenish the energy bars. There's a "simple bar" which will only replenish one battery, and more "complex" bars which will replenish more than one batteries, so keep looking for those, they're your friends. But still, standing behind one enemy, feeling like the village idiot, and not understanding what is going till I would discover I am lacking "energy" to take him down, oh well, that looked pretty bad to me. So it still looks to me they've really overdone this, just to have it gimped, defying the purpose of the whole thing a little bit, but maybe that's just me.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Ok, this is worrying (from a gameplay point of view)! I spent all those praxis kits on getting the max batteries and recharges, but now I'm only on one battery and that too, re-charges slowly!

I do remember, when I had upgraded to one additional battery in the beginning, both batteries were showing. I believe the problem started when I did a silent takedown on an enemy and then onwards only one battery was showing.

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Anyway, it seems pretty.. pathetic? to have this super augged soldier running around, and when it comes to taking down an opponent, one might have the ugly surprise to get the nice message "not enough energy," like it happened to me when I didn't pay close attention to battery status...

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

Man, tell me about it!! There I was, feeling ultra kicked that I've got max batteries and max recharge! Then I tried the silent takedown on a number of different enemies, only to be shown the prompt message "not enough energy"! Next thing I knew, I was reloading from the last saved point!

So, if you eat those bars your batteries get recharged? Man, and to think I've been dumping them for 'other' items!! But still, there must be some explanation to the problem?

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Yes, eating the bars will replenish the energy bars. There's a "simple bar" which will only replenish one battery, and more "complex" bars which will replenish more than one batteries, so keep looking for those, they're your friends. But still, standing behind one enemy, feeling like the village idiot, and not understanding what is going till I would discover I am lacking "energy" to take him down, oh well, that looked pretty bad to me. So it still looks to me they've really overdone this, just to have it gimped, defying the purpose of the whole thing a little bit, but maybe that's just me.

Solution

luna bars give me energy...

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

Good thinking, before I realized that I upgraded to 4 battery cells, and they're just sitting there, I rarely use more than 2 at a time, usually I just use the first battery, the one that recharges.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
So basically, those extra batteries get replenished upon repeated consumption of energy bars, etc. At least the additional batteries didn't go to waste then!

Quite ridiculous, imho! The whole point was to enable the player to chose the way he/ she wants to build its character by choosing what aug to upgrade! By including this funda of having to replenish the additional batteries by eating those bars, etc, it kinda makes it frustrating! I mean, after having used those Praxis kits, I can't help but think "Man, maybe I should have not wasted them on the additional batteries!"

Or maybe the developers thought that having all batteries recharging would have given a player an unfair advantage in combat? Dunno if its a 'balancing' strategy or what.

aztec_scribe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, I've no idea why but I always have one of these huge energy bar tub things on me just in case and yet I never use it! I just find I'm hoarding chocolate bars and food like I think the war is going to cause rationing and I'll be able to make a fortune out of them!! I agree with Namelessonez, it's not a very good game play mechanic, I'm meant to be a bad ass not some food hoarding fat kid!!! :p

mmmmmmm.......chocolate.......