sTRO

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2001
Ok, so my computer finally working, looks like this:

-Enermax 350W PS
-AMD 1400 266FSB
-256MB DDR RAM (make uncertain, but tested recently)
-FIC AD-11 mobo
-10x ACER Burner
-8x Generic DVD ROM
-Maxtor Diamond Max 60GB, 7200rpm, ATA100 HD,
-(crappy) Graphics Blaster TNT 16MB Graphics card (next upgrade)

I got teh computer home and in order to run at 1400, had to switch the FSB jumper on the mobo from 100 to 133... Did it... Computer starts, but crashes Windows on startup. :\
I've reinstalled, reformatted, tested all components, started with graphics card only, etc... (I have more to add once this much works)... And I still can't get the system to run on 166FSB on the mobo... the latest BIOS update is the original one on the FICa.com website from what I can tell... Does anyone have any insights?

<font color=orange>Everything I install is based on Plug n' Pray architecture</font color=orange>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i guess its the cooling issue. the heatsink/fan isnt cooling the processor enough. it generates a lot more heat at 1400 MHz.

rest of the parts seem okay for the 350 W SMPS.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

sTRO

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2001
So I should get a stronger heatsink/fan combo? I'm running a ThermalEngine or ThermalTech thing that's supposed to be good up to 1.5GHz... But you think it's the overheating that's shutting down the computer?

Thanks, I'll look into that!

<font color=orange>Everything I install is based on Plug n' Pray architecture</font color=orange>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what are the temperatures of the CPU, you can check them immediately after the windows stalls or crashes.. in the BIOS PC Health options.

if the temperature is above 55~60 then its the CPU overheating for sure.

try reseating the HSF, if you have applied any thermal paste it might have been thicker. remove it.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

sTRO

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2001
Ok, the CPU peaks at about 51C at any time... 52 tops...

Really weird, when I first set teh FSB to 100MHz, it read the CPU @ 1050... then after I shut down and restarted, it went down to 850... That's no good for a 1.4 I thought.

I have no idea how this happened, but I went into the BIOS to see if I could crank the CPU up to its normal speed, pumed it up to 133MHz and restarted. My monitor wouldn't turn on... I tried restarting and shutting down a few times... smae thing. So I was like "oh crap!" Then I got t he idea to hit the FSB jumper back to 133... Started up, and it read at 1133... then I tried playing with the BIOS overclocking... ranged from 1133-1274-ish... then I set it to default, and it runs at 1133... any ideas? I've spoken to a friend online and he says that the CPU is just messed up... which is kinda discouraging, cuz I've gone through 3 faulty mobos and a fried CPU on this project already... the boys at teh store are starting to hate me... :\

I have an Fic Ad11. Check to see if both multiplier and voltage jumpers are set to default. When set at default, the open pin will be below the blue jumpers. Make sure your ACPI setting is enabled, 133 fsb jumper enabled, and your fsb setting in bios is at default. If you are still reading less than 1400, your cpu may not be a 1.4, or the motherboard may have a voltage problem if windows won't finish loading. Once, with a new setup, I had to lower the fsb from 100 to 95 to get windows to finish loading with a 1 gig athlon. Sent both mb and cpu back. Also, have you done a fresh install of your hardrive, or did your dealer install windows for you?

sTRO

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2001
Multiplier Jumpers: check
Voltage Jumpers: check
ACPI Enabled: check
133FSB jumper: check
FSB setting in BIOS: wtf?! ? I can't find one... where do I look... This mobo just came back to me, running BIOS ver. ABA41 (ABA43 came out last month -- do I need it?)

Just a little more help and I may have the problem solved! :)

In the bios, use the "load optimised defaults" setting and try re-booting. With my previous recommendations, your system should then run at 1400. Use the clockometer to check your cpu speed, or hold down the tab key on the keyboard while booting to view your system speed.

sTRO

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2001
Well, I kinda got closure on my FIC-AD11 sit with it not running an AMD 1400 266FSB CPU... I brought it back, and the boys in tech sadi tehy had no idea why my system wouldn't work, despite the fact that AMD has it on their website, and I've gone through 3 FIC mobo's. I'm getting an MSI K7T266Pro in it's place, which I look forward to solving the myriad of crashes and lock-ups that are in store for me in yet another adventure of "The Guy Who's Computers Never Seem To Work Despite Having Some Computer Knowledge and an IT Job!"