jhurst747

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
How many of you have noticed that the current iteration of releases are starting to ask PC gamers to start shelling out 60 dollars for a PC game? I'm all for supporting the people that release quality software but something's got to give. It's one thing to charge this much for a solid release that provides a multiplayer experience such as Battlefield 3 but quite another to charge this much for a standard MMO release that will further drain your bank account for 15 a month thereafter. Is there anyone else out there who's tired of seeing everyone jack up the prices on the titles out there? I'm very close to finding another way to pass the time. Personally, I don't know why console gamers have put up with it for so long. Sixty dollars for a single player or MMO is getting ridiculous.

skaz

Distinguished
Unfortunately the jump from 50 to 60 dollars on new releases was going to happen at some point no matter what. Luckily it held off for a long time compared to consoles. But with higher standards come higher prices. Thankfully unlike console games the price for PC games plummets depending if the game is actually any good or not decently quick. You will still find great deals on PC games that are only a few months old vs their counterpart the console version.

What bothers me more is the industry is pushing DLC and "free-to-play with micro-transactions. I would much rather spend my money on a full out expansion to a game then micro-transactions for lame things like virtual hats.

I can't believe the major support for the "free to play" model. You get the game, but not ALL of the game. If you want access to ALL the items and ALL the maps and ALL the quest, etc. You have to pay for them individually. No no no, I do not want to be nickle and dimed.

Just my two cents. =/

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
I am not going to pay per month for a game EVER. And I hate every person who does, because this encourages companies to charge monthly for a game because they can make money off it. So, if you pay monthly for a game, I hate you die.

That said, 60 bucks for a game I dl on steam is steep, $40 of the 60 bucks is profit for the dev(compared to $20 retail), that said, inflation is on the rise, the ol pres is a commie so were lucky they are still as inexpensive as they are and any game with guns allowed :p

Took the words right out of my mouth - agree 100%

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I wish that most PC games were still $50, but I guess $60 is more of the standard now. I just liked that since we spend a little more on our PC's we get games slightly cheaper.

As for the whole MMO $15 a month, all you haters on this must have never played a free mmo AND a pay2play mmo. All of the free ones sucks. You go to their website and download it, the game sucks. Now go play WoW, you have to pay $15 a month sure, but it's way better. You get what you pay for. I've been playing WoW for a few years, never regretted it. You get content and patches for that $15 you pay. When you compare the gameplay and content you get with a $60 console game to that of an MMO for $15/month, you get more for your money with the MMO, I guarantee it.

Sorry, I can't see paying my hard earned cash for virtual objects that you will lose the moment you let your subscription run out.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
It's called "waiting" for a steam sale. You don't need to buy a game the day it comes out. 2-3 months later the price drops for PC games. Its not like the game is "better" on the release day than it is 2 months later. In fact look at Dead Island, is buggy right now and it just came out. I got in a 4 pact so I only paid $37.50 for it. If you pay full price for a PC game you are silly, wait for deals or preorder specials. With the interwebs you have no excuse to pay Console prices.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I typically do wait for a sale and rarely purchase games on release. However, I broke my rule Tuesday and got Resistance 3 brand new at best-buy. but they gave you 50% another game from a selection if you bought it, and one of those other games was Killzone 3 so I was like, whatever.

Besides that I make due with the many games I have and buy more when they drop in price. I rarely spend any money at all(I'm seriously a freak about spending, I accumulate hundreds in cash that just sits in my wallet), so when I do spend some it's no big deal.

cnox

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Steam has allowed me to just sit back and wait for the eventual price drops and I can pick it up later. I did this for Civ5 (25 bucks, but now on steam for 12.50! dammit!), DeadSpace I and II...baslically everything I bought from steam was always at a discount.

My next purchases will be:
Space Marine and Deus Ex when they hit $30.
Bastion when it drops to $10 (I don't know why, but I just MUST buy games below the origional cost)
Deathspank value pack (all 3 games in 1 bundle).

I can wait. I am patient. I get a lot of enjoyment out of free to play games (vindictus, world of tanks, Crimecraft) and there's always the handy Starcraft 2 to fall back on.

My weakness will be Starwars MMO, I can't resist the lightsabers.

skaz

Distinguished

I too caved for the Bad company 2 Vietnam DLC. Mainly because I knew how many hours I would get out of it, roughly based on the maps alone. Bad company 2 maps are huge. It not only included new maps but added new weapons, and vehicles. Basically leaning more towards an expansion pack. And for 7 bucks (on sale) it was well worth it.