VIA DDR P4 chipset performs!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tom's latest test shows the VIA DDR reference platform only 5-8% behind the 850/RDRAM. BUT it was VIA's reference motherboard vs. the excellent Asus P4 motherboard. We know that there can easily be a 10% performance difference between reference boards and quality production boards, so I expect the diference to be narrowed quite a bit on production boards. In fact, an Asus board with the DDR chipset may actually outperform the Asus RDRAM board eventually.
Not to give VIA any credit, I won't be buying it. But it is a good reference point for future DDR P4 motherboards. I expect that Intel's DDR solution will do even better! Now to see if the Northwood really lives up to it's expectations!

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Better alert the masses, Rayston is sure to visit imploring the advantages of RDRAM. Imagine what a dual memory channel with DDR would be able to do. VIA managed this with only a single DDR channel and it ir very competitive with a dual RDRAM motherboard. But alas, Intel does not want the best for there customers as it is now strongarming motherboard makers, threatening them with legal action if they use this chipset. Would someone please lone Intel thier crowbar so they can get there collective heads out of the postierers?

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sure VIA has improved! the P4X266 was a hell of a board and quite convincingly exposed the P4-RDRAM bandwidth fairy tales.

But then, if P4 performs the same at 2/3 of the bandwidth, then who is the culprit?

I guess although RDRAM (apart from the latencies and other issues) provides 3.2 GB/sec of bandwidth, the P4 is quite okay with 2.1 GB/sec! and most thought even 3.2 GB/sec can at times starve the P4!!!

Its more of P4's failure to exploit the bandwidth than VIA's success at that.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I dont think the Intel Brookdale with DDR will perform any better than VIA or SiS or ALi whoever is making P4 chipsets. Intel is still under the RAMBUS spell and it would possibly underperform its DDR version with P4 because it still has to sell the RDRAM!

this scam is already exposed by the VIA P4X266, and ALi and SiS will contribute to it. as for Intel, its really left to speculation about the performance of Brookdale DDR amidst the given conditions.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think it simply shows the falability of the RDRAM argument. If Intel would simply go with one of their early plans of implementing DDR 400 memory, which would be called PC 3200, using the DDR II spec, using THEIR OWN chipset, everything would be great! Well, not everything, the Willy P4 still sucks, and they still haven't proven the Northwood.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The only thing holding DDR from suppling the p4 with 3.2 gigs of bandwith is the memory controller. Remember, the I 850 needs two sticks of Rdram to supply 3.2 gigs to the memory controller as the bandwith of one stick(channel)of Rdram is only 1.6 gigs. I would really like to see some comparisons with the via board with one stick of ddr versus the I850 with one stick of Rdram. Crazy? yes.....who in there right mind would run the p4 with only one stick of Rdram? Answer...anybody stupid enough to buy a p4 with Sdram. Come on Intel!

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
with two DDR sticks the bandwidth will go 4.2 GB/sec. but from the results it is clear that P4 is unable to use even 3.2 GB/sec properly and does quite well with 2.1 GB/sec, so why <i>inwaste</i> in dual channel DDR right away?

if at all this is the problem I would definitely put the other RDRAM DIMM into another 850! RDRAMs are pricy and I can get almost the same performance with two P4s without getting some more RDRAM! I wont buy another pair for the other one.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS