prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
im gonna build a pc, and after reading some forums, it seems sp2 messes up games, but if i buy xp with an sp2 update already on the installation, will it still prevent games from running? or will it be fine.

---------------------------------------------
YES! No longer a stranger!

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
I do not know why people are having problems with SP2!?! I have had ZERO problems since installing the software. You should be completely fine. I really cannot see installing any other MS OS except for maybe Windows 2000 but I would not surprised if MS stops offering updates very soon considering that Winodws 2000 is already 5 years old.

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
SP2 has been alright on my end as well. For more information about it and any possible software/hardware issues, go here: <A HREF="http://www.support.microsoft.com/xpsp2swhw" target="_new">Using Programs and Hardware with SP2</A>

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
XP SP2 is over-rated IMO...I would go back to 2000 Pro, but that may not be an option with my new hardware. I don't like the idea of XP holding my hand with some gay built in firewall...anybody know how to get rid of it? Software firewalls are crap btw.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax</b></font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you play quite the expert for some one that cant figure out how to turn off the windows firewall. rofl

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

RichPLS

Champion
Never thought of it that way Ned. I consider a router a hardware firewall, even tho it is HTML configured.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Just because you check the box selected off, you don't really think Bill will really allow it to be off, do you? It is just an illusion. LOL!

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
PM me if you want the registry edit to disable it.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Registry edit? WTF! Turning it off is very easy. Go to the control panel, security center, windows firewall, OFF, and click ok.

I can't believe you guys....lol

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>

RichPLS

Champion
THere is more than one way to skin a kat.

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Nothing like hacking the registry. Sometimes its easier to make changes in the registry than trying to find it elsewhere. One example would be some settings in gpedit - which can take longer to scroll through than searching the registry. Like I said, sometimes.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
The only thing only I would suggest is Pro over Home eddition. It just seems to be smoother. It will boot up faster, etc. If you have the choice. :smile:

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
I just found Pro to be alot more, shall we say, tuneable. :wink:
Maybe my choice of words was bad.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>