Best Long Range Wireless PC Card or USB?

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Can anyone point me to the direction for the BEST Long Range Wireless
ard? - Meaning best signal and throughput over the longest distance.

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about best long range wireless card
  1. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    JD wrote:
    > Can anyone point me to the direction for the BEST Long Range Wireless
    > ard? - Meaning best signal and throughput over the longest distance.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I recommend the Netgear WG511 or the Netgear WG511T card. Both have
    exceptional range.

    Doug Jamal,

    I'm also considering 54g wireless pc cards. I'm looking for a card which
    offers the following:

    1- $50 or less,
    2- good range,
    3- doesn't loose connections,
    4- maintains strong signal whether in mixed-mode environments or
    single-mode environments, and
    5 is compatible with the Texas Instruments PCI-1211 Cardbus controller.

    I've also heard that the Netgear WG511 and one of the SMC cards offer good
    range. But I also hear that their signals are not the strongest and they
    lose connections more frequently than other cards in their category.

    What are your thoughts on D-Link, Belkin, and Motorola?

    "Doug Jamal" wrote:

    > JD wrote:
    > > Can anyone point me to the direction for the BEST Long Range Wireless
    > > ard? - Meaning best signal and throughput over the longest distance.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > I recommend the Netgear WG511 or the Netgear WG511T card. Both have
    > exceptional range.

    stuck a hypertech off eBay blade Omni antenna on my laptops cpx gPC Card(mc
    conn), range & wall poke went up considerably, even found another
    neighbor(Cornhusker 00:12:17:31:c6:01 # Cisco-Linksys, LLC).
    cheap to do too.

    "JD" <jd@associates.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone point me to the direction for the BEST Long Range Wireless
    > ard? - Meaning best signal and throughput over the longest distance.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I hooked up a Netgear WGT 624 v2 and a WG511T card.
    The router is in the basement with the other computer items and I have never
    lost a signal anywhere in my house or for that matter anywhere in any of the
    neighbors houses...be it next door(left or right) across the street, across the
    back alley, kitty corner.
    My house sits in the middle of the block and I do not lose signal anywhere on
    my block ...I lose it about 1/3 to 1/2 way into the next block.
    and thats from the basement in top speed mode
    peter
    "Enrique" <Enrique@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Doug Jamal,
    >
    > I'm also considering 54g wireless pc cards. I'm looking for a card which
    > offers the following:
    >
    > 1- $50 or less,
    > 2- good range,
    > 3- doesn't loose connections,
    > 4- maintains strong signal whether in mixed-mode environments or
    > single-mode environments, and
    > 5 is compatible with the Texas Instruments PCI-1211 Cardbus controller.
    >
    > I've also heard that the Netgear WG511 and one of the SMC cards offer good
    > range. But I also hear that their signals are not the strongest and they
    > lose connections more frequently than other cards in their category.
    >
    > What are your thoughts on D-Link, Belkin, and Motorola?
    >

    > "Doug Jamal" wrote:
    >
    >> JD wrote:
    >> > Can anyone point me to the direction for the BEST Long Range Wireless
    >> > ard? - Meaning best signal and throughput over the longest distance.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >

    >> I recommend the Netgear WG511 or the Netgear WG511T card. Both have
    >> exceptional range.

    My reply was to the WG511 (wireless 54G) card, not the WG511T (wireless
    54G-enhanced) card. These might very well have better tranmit /receive power
    as they are reputed to exceed theoretical 54G throughputs. But, I'm glad to
    hear that your network is successful.

    "peter" wrote:

    > I hooked up a Netgear WGT 624 v2 and a WG511T card.
    > The router is in the basement with the other computer items and I have never
    > lost a signal anywhere in my house or for that matter anywhere in any of the
    > neighbors houses...be it next door(left or right) across the street, across the
    > back alley, kitty corner.
    > My house sits in the middle of the block and I do not lose signal anywhere on
    > my block ...I lose it about 1/3 to 1/2 way into the next block.
    > and thats from the basement in top speed mode
    > peter
    > "Enrique" <Enrique@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Doug Jamal,
    > >
    > > I'm also considering 54g wireless pc cards. I'm looking for a card which
    > > offers the following:
    > >
    > > 1- $50 or less,
    > > 2- good range,
    > > 3- doesn't loose connections,
    > > 4- maintains strong signal whether in mixed-mode environments or
    > > single-mode environments, and
    > > 5 is compatible with the Texas Instruments PCI-1211 Cardbus controller.
    > >
    > > I've also heard that the Netgear WG511 and one of the SMC cards offer good
    > > range. But I also hear that their signals are not the strongest and they
    > > lose connections more frequently than other cards in their category.
    > >
    > > What are your thoughts on D-Link, Belkin, and Motorola?

    > >> I recommend the Netgear WG511 or the Netgear WG511T card. Both have
    > >> exceptional range.

Wireless Microsoft Networking USB Internet Wireless Networking