Building a new system. Opinions? -Newbie-

DivineWrath

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2001
Okay, first of all- don't rip me a new one just for asking.
I had $1900 to work with. (My university is paying for it... so I don't mind blowing it all.) It's for my home, I play Quake3 and other graphic intensive game. I also use Bryce3D v4.... just for fun. I'm online alot and use business programs.
I figure, if someone else is paying for it- I want top of the line...
I really don't care about having an awesome sound card. I'm using the one that came with my motherboard at the moment and it's working fine for me.
I guess it's mostly that I need help picking out a CPU/Motherboard and Graphics card.
I'm running ME at the moment and will most likely upgrade to XP. (I've had constant problems with all Windows versions and I'm praying that XP will give me the least amount of trouble. I already know that it's too much to ask for, so no preaching on the subject.... please.
Anyway, any good advise would be much appreciated.
Oh... almost forgot... I can easily wait six months or so if something REALLY cool is just on the horizon.

Motherboard- Abit KG7-lite $140 (pricewatch) or KG7 with raid and a 1.4 oem athlon cpu ($107 and falling). If you don't plan on overclocking, use any heatsink recommended for 1.4 and higher. I would read tom's article on heatsinks and get one that is easy to install (with a large clip, that is easy to maneuver with a screwdriver). My thermaltake volcano 5 works fine, but is difficult to install and remove without damaging the socket tab. I also would try the new radeon ati 7500 coming out in sept (tom's article) or the radeon ati le that I use (cheap and stable). Also, an IBM 40-60 gig 7200 rpm hardrive. For monitors, any 19-21 inch flatscreen .22-.25 dot pitch for $300-600. Finally, a Lite-on 12x10x32 cd burner with burn proof technology for about $75.

Reddevil

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2001
Agree with the AMD 1.4 suggestion.With p4 prices dropping, AMD's will be also and with your budget it makes sense to go for the 1.4 cpu.My only other main suggestion would be to build based on DDR memory.If you're spending the money on the top end processor, this memory is worth it.Check out crucial.com for DDR.Excellent reputation for quick delivery and the lowest prices.I'd go with the Epox 8k7a or the Epox 8k7a+ (with RAID) mobo.Easy set up, encountered no problems on setup or since.