Install sims 3 external hard drive

I have installed an 250g internal hard drive on my pc to install the sims3 and its expansion. Is it possible that I could install the entire game onto the 2 internal hard drive to play the Sims3 I will always purchase the expansions and will for ever need the space and the correct how to make this happen :sarcastic: :cry:

I am computer saavy but just want to be certain that I will not need the operating system to run the game.
5 answers Last reply
More about install sims external hard drive
  1. what is ur pc configuration?
  2. xp
  3. I would say you should be able to. After all the external hard drive will simply show up as just another hard drive when it is connected to your PC / laptop.

The only thing you need to keep in mind is that if you connected multiple external hard drives at once, make sure the external drive with the game installed has the same drive letter every time.

You can simply install the Sims 3 and test it out. It should work and then install your expansions.
  4. If you are just looking to have the installations on a separate drive that should work no problem. You can tell it whatever drive you want to install the game and expansions to, just like an internal drive. You will not however be able to simply take that external HD to another computer and be able to play The Sims 3 on it, unless that computer also has the game and proper expansions installed on it, and then you would just be copying your backed up neighborhood file into their save directory. The Sims 3 still stores quite a bit of data on your Windows drive.
  5. FinalDrive said:
    If you are just looking to have the installations on a separate drive that should work no problem. You can tell it whatever drive you want to install the game and expansions to, just like an internal drive. You will not however be able to simply take that external HD to another computer and be able to play The Sims 3 on it, unless that computer also has the game and proper expansions installed on it, and then you would just be copying your backed up neighborhood file into their save directory. The Sims 3 still stores quite a bit of data on your Windows drive.

I have an external drive that I want to install my sims games on. The main reason I want to do this is so my computer will not run slowly, either while I'm playing the game or while I'm not playing the game. I used to have all the sims games installed on my computer but it made my computer run slowly even when I was not playing it, I guess because the games just take up so much space. Would having all the games installed on an external disk drive solve the problem? It seems to me it would, since you can simply disconnect an external drive when it's not in use. Is there any way to have the sims games (once they are installed) save all information to the external hard drive only, and install the games on the external hard drive? Thanks for taking the time to read this if you did :)
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Sims Hard Drives External Hard Drive Video Games