COMPUTER KEEPS SHUTTING DOWN SUDDENLY

Hello; Hope any of you can help me. A couple of days ago my computer got very
slow, especially the Yahoo messenger. I start typing and it takes a while for
me to be able to see what I type. It drives me crazy! Also, when I least
expect it, the computer shuts completely down, really fast!
I installed Spybot and it discovered more than 400 bad things in my computer
and I got rid of those. All my virus definitions are up to date and the
computer hasn't find any viruses, yet the problem persists. I tried
defragmenting the hard drive, but the computer keeps shutting down and it
won't let me do it. Yahoo is still very slow.
What can I do? Does anybody knows what's wrong with my computer? Can any of
you help?

Thanks in advance, and hope to hear from you soon!

Respectfully,
--
Carmen
2 answers Last reply

    Carmen;
    Those "400 bad things" may have caused problems not resolved by simply
    by uninstalling them.
    Is there an error message as the computer shuts down?

    Check for damaged/missing system files:
    Start/Run
    Type "sfc /scannow" ENTER
    Follow prompts and have Windows XP CD available.

    Also see this link to help prevent this in the future:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    "carmen" <carmen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello; Hope any of you can help me. A couple of days ago my computer
    > got very
    > slow, especially the Yahoo messenger. I start typing and it takes a
    > while for
    > me to be able to see what I type. It drives me crazy! Also, when I
    > least
    > expect it, the computer shuts completely down, really fast!
    > I installed Spybot and it discovered more than 400 bad things in my
    > computer
    > and I got rid of those. All my virus definitions are up to date and
    > the
    > computer hasn't find any viruses, yet the problem persists. I tried
    > defragmenting the hard drive, but the computer keeps shutting down
    > and it
    > won't let me do it. Yahoo is still very slow.
    > What can I do? Does anybody knows what's wrong with my computer? Can
    > any of
    > you help?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, and hope to hear from you soon!
    >
    > Respectfully,
    > --
    > Carmen

    Your computer was severely compromised by spyware. Fixing that much damage
    is bound to leave you with a seriously unstable system.

    You should seriously consider backing up all your data and performing a
    cleaninstall of Windows and all your other software.

    Ted Zieglar

    "carmen" <carmen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello; Hope any of you can help me. A couple of days ago my computer got
    > very
    > slow, especially the Yahoo messenger. I start typing and it takes a while
    > for
    > me to be able to see what I type. It drives me crazy! Also, when I least
    > expect it, the computer shuts completely down, really fast!
    > I installed Spybot and it discovered more than 400 bad things in my
    > computer
    > and I got rid of those. All my virus definitions are up to date and the
    > computer hasn't find any viruses, yet the problem persists. I tried
    > defragmenting the hard drive, but the computer keeps shutting down and it
    > won't let me do it. Yahoo is still very slow.
    > What can I do? Does anybody knows what's wrong with my computer? Can any
    > of
    > you help?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, and hope to hear from you soon!
    >
    > Respectfully,
    > --
    > Carmen

Yahoo Messenger Computers Microsoft Windows XP