Metro 2033 lowered resolution Lower Frame Rate!!!!???

bloodthirst1

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
So i have been trying to tweak metro 2033 to get my frames to stay above 25ish at all times while still being on very high and dx11. So first off i would like any recommendations on how to increase my FPS. My other concern was i usually play at 1680 x 1050 and i had an average FPS on the metro benchmark of about 32 fps. So i tried dropping my res. to 1280 x 768 and my frame rate dropped to an average of only 28fps.

any suggestions to how to increase my frames would be much appreciated. and why my frames drop with res. decrease

phenom x 4 955 BE @ 3.46Ghz
8 GB DDR3 @1600
XFX 6850 1 gb
650 earthwatts antec psu
500gb HDD @ 7200rpm
Windows 7 prem

Thanks

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
You can try turning off Advanced Physx, tesselation, advanced DoF.

Those features really hit your framerate, but for me they're necessary to Metro 2033. Others don't feel the same way.

its called a bottleneck... you get less fps when lowering the rez it means your cpu cant cope with what its already getting from the gpu so slows things down.
by increasing the rez and other settings your offloading to the gpu so freeing up cpu time thus revealing the bottleneck giving higher minimum fps...
if your @25 minimum then you should be able to reach 30 minimum by turning off the 2 highest end filters. 1 if for AAA and the other for shadows...
then in the gfx settings turn on vsnc and enable tripple buffering... this should giv you a steady 30-35 fps.

your cpu isnt a bad 1 but its not the best of its kind.. even with a 920 i dont get much more fps but that extra 20 percent cpu power does help the game play smoother.

I didnt try the benchie, but played around with the settings in game, and with a 3.3ghz 925 I was getting considerable fps differences when adjusting the resolution and DX11 features, and @ that frequency, my 570 definitely should be choked up a little if his 6850 is by 3.4. Advanced DoF is definitely the fps killer in metro. The benchmark is alot more taxing than the actual gameplay too, so get yourself an fps counter and tweak the settings in game to see what kid of gains/losses you have. When in very high settings, the smoke is pretty taxing in certain areas as well as the volumnetric lighting, so expect to see dips every once in a while when these effects are on screen

bloodthirst1

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
So if i overclock my cpu a little more you think i could get better frames on the lower resolution? because my mobo has a feature called turbo unlocker which when i turn that on my cpu runs at 4.0ghz but it doesnt increase my frames when on 1680x1050. Maybe i should try it on the lower resolution and see what happens. Also i turned off advanced DoF and it made my FPS in the benchmark increase by like 2-3 but in game it gets rid of the dips.

So now in game i get inbetween ~30 to ~70. and on average about 40-45ish. also i messed with the user.cfg file and that helped my frames also.

does anyone else get weird aiming hiccups? my frames don't drop but my aiming gets really glitchy every once and a while

That is the small amount of micro stutter in metro, I get it too be one or two spots. You are getting the frames I do with my setup, I don't see why you don't se improvements in the bench but in game you are seeing gains.