Windows 7 64x upgrade from 32 bit xp/vista?

slayem

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I am building a new pc and plan to get windows 7 ultimate. Judging from the prices i have seen, the ultimate upgrade costs 219$, if the version of vista/xp i have is 32 bit...how do i get to windows 7 ultimate 64x? :heink:

do i have to get windows vista 64x that has a free upgrade coupon?

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

From everything I've read online you cannot upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS without doing a clean install.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

That is a link on Vista, but I believe it still applies. Hope this helps.

Bit~version has no effect on pricing. Meaning 32 bit Home Premium is the same price as 64 bit Home Premium. Just check to make sure you are ordering the proper DVD.

As pointed out above, you will need to do a clean install.

A clean install means you install the OS to a clean partition. Basically starting from scratch.

You may also do what Microsoft call a 'Custom Install' on top of your existing OS - The existing OS will be gathered up and placed into a folder named 'WINDOWS_OLD'. You'll be able to access your files/data, but you will have to reinstall your applications.

No, you do not need to buy Vista.

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
You might be able to purchase a copy of Vista 64 first and then install 7 64 over it, however it may be more poignant to just buy a full install version of 7 especially since it sounds like you want 7 64 but only currently have 32 bit versions of windows