Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Getting an SPC for a Nokia 2280

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 2:52:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Hi all,

I bought a Nokia 2280 (sold as the 2285 in the US) from Telstra
(Australia). I want to setup NAM2 (Telstra only use NAM1 and leave 2
deactivated) to use Verizon Wireless so I can use the phone in both the
US and Australia. Verizon are happy with people BYOing a phone as long
as it's dual-mode/dual-band.

Telstra are positive they don't lock their phones at all, but there's
definitely a Service Provider Code (SPC) stopping me from modifying NAM
settings. Telstra's support have no idea what I'm on about, say they
don't have the code and point me to Nokia to get it. On the flip-side,
Nokia say it's something the telco set and they don't have it.

Anyone got any ideas/pointers on where I can go from here to get the
SPC? Thought I'd try this group seeing you guys are more likely to know
something about CDMA. :) 

PD

--
Paul Day Web: www.bur.st/~paul GPG Key ID: 7FF655A8

More about : spc nokia 2280

Anonymous
November 24, 2004 2:52:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Paul remove-the-nospam Day wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I bought a Nokia 2280 (sold as the 2285 in the US) from Telstra
> (Australia). I want to setup NAM2 (Telstra only use NAM1 and leave 2
> deactivated) to use Verizon Wireless so I can use the phone in both the
> US and Australia. Verizon are happy with people BYOing a phone as long
> as it's dual-mode/dual-band.

Which the 2280 isn't, by the way, if Nokia is still mostly following their only
numbering scheme -- which they seem to have deviated from lately. Nokia xx80
phones have traditionally been 800 MHz CDMA/800 MHz AMPS, and xx85 have
traditionally been 800/1900 CDMA and 800 AMPS.


--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 3:36:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@justthe.net> wrote:
> > I bought a Nokia 2280 (sold as the 2285 in the US) from Telstra
> > (Australia). I want to setup NAM2 (Telstra only use NAM1 and leave 2
> > deactivated) to use Verizon Wireless so I can use the phone in both the
> > US and Australia. Verizon are happy with people BYOing a phone as long
> > as it's dual-mode/dual-band.
>
> Which the 2280 isn't, by the way, if Nokia is still mostly following
> their only numbering scheme -- which they seem to have deviated from
> lately. Nokia xx80 phones have traditionally been 800 MHz CDMA/800 MHz
> AMPS, and xx85 have traditionally been 800/1900 CDMA and 800 AMPS.

The 2280 here in Australia is apparently sold as the 2285 in the US.
According to the documentation it's AMPS 800, CDMA 800 and CDMA/PCS
1900.

PD

--
Paul Day Web: www.bur.st/~paul GPG Key ID: 7FF655A8
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 3:36:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Paul remove-the-nospam Day wrote:

> The 2280 here in Australia is apparently sold as the 2285 in the US.
> According to the documentation it's AMPS 800, CDMA 800 and CDMA/PCS
> 1900.

That's ok, after I posted I remember that Bell Atlantic sold a 5180i that was
supposedly tri-mode :)  As I mentioned, Nokia has been deviating from its
historical product numbering scheme anyhow...

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 6:52:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@justthe.net> wrote:
> > The 2280 here in Australia is apparently sold as the 2285 in the US.
> > According to the documentation it's AMPS 800, CDMA 800 and CDMA/PCS
> > 1900.
>
> That's ok, after I posted I remember that Bell Atlantic sold a 5180i that was
> supposedly tri-mode :)  As I mentioned, Nokia has been deviating from its
> historical product numbering scheme anyhow...

*nod

Well, either way this thread is now stale as I finally found someone at
my local telco who knew what I was blabbering on about and gave me the
SPC, A-Key and MIN.

PD

--
Paul Day Web: www.bur.st/~paul GPG Key ID: 7FF655A8
!