Windows 7 full/upgrade DVD question.

pentupanger

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I hope I am able to describe my problem where it is understandable.

Let me first say this... What I am trying to do is NOT piracy, nor do I condone piracy.

I have a retail Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade x86/x64 Family pack license (3 PC llicense).
I also have a retail Windows 7 Home Premium register key for a full install.

I am thinking about purchasing Windows 7 Professional, but it will just be an upgrade version (not full).

I do NOT have a retail Windows 7 Home Premium FULL version DVD (just the Upgrade DVD), but I have the retail register key for FULL version of Win 7 Home Premium.

[first part of the question]
Will the upgrade DVD let me install the full version of Windows 7 Home Premium if I use the FULL version register key when it asks for the key? Or will it ONLY do upgrades?

My intentions are to use the full version's register key to get Windows 7 on a new machine, and then use the upgrade license to go to Win 7 Professional.

My only drawback is I have the full version Win 7 Home Premium's register key, but no clue how to get Windows 7 installed to use it. I use to be able to find All-in-one DVDs, but I have yet to see one of those for Win7 anywhere. That's why I am hoping I can use my retail Home Premium upgrade DVD to install the full version...

Any clue what I could do? Did I even make any sense?

[the second part of the question] (only answer this if I won't be able to use the Win7 upgrade DVD to full install, or download the actual OS from Microsoft since I already have the retail key.)
I was thinking... instead of wasting the Windows 7 Home Premium FULL install register key... If I can find a site selling Vista cheap... install that, and then just upgrade directly to Windows 7 Professional from the retail Professional Upgrade disc.

I would of course do a custom install where it formats the drive before installing Professional.

See any problem in that?

Also... I have a Retail All-in-One Vista disc from Microsoft themselves... is it possible to install that... don't enter a key when prompted and then once it is installed just slap my Win 7 upgrade disc in and upgrade and use the full version (not upgrade) register key on my new PC (no OS installed yet)... and then upgrade to Professional... anyway I go it seems like I am wasting a key somewhere.

pentupanger

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

Yeah, I have a legal version of XP, Vista, and 7. I do not have a retail unused key for XP or Vista, but I have a legal retail Win 7 key (full version) and one more license left on my win 7 Upgrade Family Pack.

I have full version DVDs of XP and Vista (all-in-one), but my only Win 7 DVD is for upgrading.

The PC I am building will not have an OS on it, so I'll need to use the Windows DVD to boot from.

What I would like to know is if I use my Vista All-in-one DVD to install Vista onto the new PC, but do NOT enter a key for Vista (by picking the register later option).... then do the Win 7 Professional Upgrade (from the unregistered version of Vista) and enter that key... will it work like that?

Or do I HAVE TO have the Vista install registered before upgrading to Win 7 Professional?

From the site you linked (which I did read before posting the thread :p ) it seems that I "might" be able to do it... and I might not. My main concern is not wasting the last upgrade license I have for Win 7 Home Premium or the FULL license I have for Win 7 Home Premium.

I figure the worst thing I would have to do is it to buy a Vista register key and upgrade to Win 7 Pro from that... but after spending $2300 on the new PC I am building I am trying to not spend anymore money..... or my wife might kill me. :ouch:

Thanks,
Pent

cassandraf_winteam

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hi Pent,

To upgrade to Windows 7, you'll need to have a legal version of XP or Vista installed and activated on your computer. In other words you'll need to use a license from XP or Vista in order to use the upgrade version of Windows 7.

Hope this helps,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

pentupanger

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

Well, OK. :)

I went ahead and purchased a legal version of Vista Home Premium for the new PC. It was the cheapest one I could actually find. I couldn't locate a Windows XP retail.

Hopefully I won't hit anymore unforeseen obstacles. I didn't even think about getting an OS for the new rig until yesterday when I was thinking about installing drivers and such.... I was like, "Um... I need an OS first.... DANG IT!"

It's like sharing a car with your wife and she puts gas in it for four months straight and one day while you are out driving it you run out of gas because you are just use to having the gas in the car. :sweat: