I have just set up a new computer running Windows XP 2002
Service Pack 1. Every so often (at least once daily) the
system appears to be taken over by either the 'lsass.exe'
or 'spoolsv.exe'. They consume 97 - 99% of the CPU until
they are stopped. This is a fresh install of XP directly
from the OEM. (I've even done a complete system recovery
to be sure it is.) Does anyone have any suggestions?

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

lsass.exe and spoolsv.exe are legimate windows services.
But that doesn't stop maleware running those same name
via startup registry.

I noticed you didn't include virus and spyware scans for
those free downloads to help with everything they promise
but don't tell you about startup programs and registry
items that fool with your pc.

If you don't have virus protection , Symantec test your
computer's exposer to online threats.
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?
langid=ie&venid=sym

If you don't have reliable spyware removal, you can get
it with spybot free at :

http://www.net-integration.net/index.php?
page=spybotsd#clean

I suggest you run the spybot scan. It will run awhile.
When finished ,clean recommended. Some entries will be in
memory. The program ask if you would like to fix at next
boot up. Reply yes

It has an automatic backup so you can restore fixes.

You'll also need to remove startup registry items also.
Highjackthis is available free at:

http://www.net-integration.net/index.php?

They can help you with interpreting logs. Just follow
their instructions. You can wait for their interpretation
or you can look for 04 startup entries. I suggest you
delete 04 entries that have lsass.exe or spoolsv.exe.
They don't belong there. But first run spybot.