My First System: Feedback please

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their advice and help. While there are many flamers (who will not give me positive feedback here as well) there are also many people who have shared their knowledge and helped me to build my first box. When I started posting here I was very knowledgeable about the software side of a PC but not the hardware side. At any rate, this is my first system and it is a product of my research (which included this forum). I'd like suggestions or thoughts on my first system (see link). Thanks for all of your help....Chris Ojeda

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=10793" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=10793</A>

It worked yesterday! :lol:

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Very nice system indeed. I can tell you are proud of it :)
I just would like to make a small sugestion. Try switching OS. If IT MUST BE windows then go for win2k as that system can do much more then it does under win98...

Though i still would suggest you try Linux as it would rock under Linux :)

Well thats just MHO..

Rop

Why do I use LINUX ? Cause its the BEST OS
Why do I use Windows? Cause its the BEST Nintendo..

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ROP thanks. I am not an expert on Operating Systems so maybe you can give me a little advice. I do love to play video games so I want to make sure that I have an OS that is friendly to video games (and sound and video cards). I am not sure if Win2K is that. However, I recongnize that I need to get Win2K on my box because I work in Software Development and then I won't have to bring my work laptop home. Also I need to get Linux and start getting familiar with it. So do you think Win2K is good for games. Or should I made a Dual Boot (Win2K and Win98SE)? Is it possible to make a Tri Boot (Win2K, Linux, and Win98SE)? I have heard that the setting up of multi OS boots is not as hard as it sounds. Your experience and others would be appreciated. Thanks...Chris

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Chris,

Yes it is possible to make a tripple boot system. Win2k does fine in games. Sure it is not as fast in some specific games as win98se but it is 10x more stable.. so just go for win2k or wait for xp wich IS win2k with a nice new look.

On the Linux side of things i personally suggest my fav distro SuSE 7.2 Pro. It is the best distro out there it brings a great tool called Yast that is awesome for bigginers and experts and well as it helps you configure all of your system from one tool.

So i would suggest in a nutshell you dualboot win2k/xp and SuSE Linux 7.2 You will love me for it :)

just my opinion,

Rop

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Forgot to add a small note on SuSE Linux 7.2 Pro It brings 7Cd's and a DVD (you can use the dvd intead of all the 7cds) wich almost everything you can imagine to download for Linux. From alot of DB motors to tons of games, desktops and anything else you can think of.
Its more then 2500 apps in SuSE so try it your wont be sorry :)

Rop

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks man for taking the time...I am going to do just that. I'll be able to play games and work on work at home with my IT job.