Can't view Running Services

TSC

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

My OS is XP Pro with SP1. When I click on Start, Help and Support, Use
Tools to view
computer information and diagnose problems, Advanced System Information,
View running services, a message appears saying:

'inst.PathName' is null or not an object

and the hourglass symbol appears. Nothing further happens.

I have Googled for a solution, found others with the same problem, but, so
far, no solution. sfc /scannow reveals no problems with corrupt files. I
suspect I may have been guilty of over enthusiastic registry cleaning and
have deleted a required key. But that is just a guess. Otherwise, my setup
is free from glitches. I know this is only a minor inconvenience with an
easy workaround but I'd welcome ideas on what is wrong and/or how to put
this right?

Steve

What does this show for you?

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:O9Y4363pEHA.3324@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
tsc <tsc@NOSPAMmuchomail.com> hunted and pecked:
> My OS is XP Pro with SP1. When I click on Start, Help and Support,
> Use Tools to view
> computer information and diagnose problems, Advanced System
> Information, View running services, a message appears saying:
>
> 'inst.PathName' is null or not an object
>
> and the hourglass symbol appears. Nothing further happens.
>
> I have Googled for a solution, found others with the same problem,
> but, so far, no solution. sfc /scannow reveals no problems with
> corrupt files. I suspect I may have been guilty of over enthusiastic
> registry cleaning and have deleted a required key. But that is just
> a guess. Otherwise, my setup is free from glitches. I know this is
> only a minor inconvenience with an easy workaround but I'd welcome
> ideas on what is wrong and/or how to put this right?
>
> Steve

Try this . Right-click My Computer , select Manage .
Computer Management will appear . Click Services & Applications . Click
Services .
Does the services pane display anything ?

"tsc" wrote:

> My OS is XP Pro with SP1. When I click on Start, Help and Support, Use
> Tools to view
> computer information and diagnose problems, Advanced System Information,
> View running services, a message appears saying:
>
> 'inst.PathName' is null or not an object
>
> and the hourglass symbol appears. Nothing further happens.
>
> I have Googled for a solution, found others with the same problem, but, so
> far, no solution. sfc /scannow reveals no problems with corrupt files. I
> suspect I may have been guilty of over enthusiastic registry cleaning and
> have deleted a required key. But that is just a guess. Otherwise, my setup
> is free from glitches. I know this is only a minor inconvenience with an
> easy workaround but I'd welcome ideas on what is wrong and/or how to put
> this right?
>
> Steve

TSC

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

> What does this show for you?
>
> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes,

Thanks for replying. Up comes the screen showing Services (Local). All
appears to be in order and I can click away on all the items to my heart's
content.

Steve

TSC

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

"MetaLLiZ" <MetaLLiZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Try this . Right-click My Computer , select Manage .
> Computer Management will appear . Click Services & Applications . Click
> Services .
> Does the services pane display anything ?

Yes, the Services pane displays and all seems to be as normal.

Steve

Steve,

Good. :)

--