Whats your all time fav board?

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
After all the systems i have owned i still cant forget of my old Abit Bh6. I still havent been able to find a board as stable and overclockable...

Well whats your all time fav board and why ?

Rop

Why do I use LINUX ? Cause its the BEST OS
Why do I use Windows? Cause its the BEST Nintendo..

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it was the Asus P2B-F, now its CUSL2-C!
and A7A266 for AMD!

but all time favorite is the BX chipset. the i815 is its successor in all respects/

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
girish,
Even though i LOVE my Athlon my current abit Kt7 has been one of the worste MB in terms of problems and conflicts..
I am really looking forward to AMD 761 based board or perhaps in the future to an Nforce based board but i still cant find anything as good as the BX chipset :) (those where the good ol days)
Remember the 300a with the Bx chipset ? I had mine doing 464 on my Abit Bh6...

Fact is that this could have been my very LAST abit board untill i read Tom's review on the Kg7 i cant wait for a more in depth review on the board.

Another great chipset that i still remember was the OLD TX chipset. Danm nice and stable.. :)

Rop

the GA-7DXR. The most amazing board i have ever bought. Everything is in the BIOS. The only dip you gotta switch is the fsb setting. Everything else is in the BIOS (you can even do 1mhz increments in the BIOS for the fsb, but you gotta set the defualt fsb up to 150mhz after that is 1mhz increments up to like 280). There are even redundent dip switches for the multiplier setting. which isn't needed because you can set it in the bios. Has three dimms that work. Now keep in mind it is common with ddr to not mix types and manufacturers once you a pick a type stick with it. It is rock stable! I have my duron overclocked to 934 (7*133) at 1.65volts. I still have to try giving it some more juice to reach 1050 (7*150). amazingly enough this board can reach insane fsb levels. Up to like 280! Has dual BIOS and @bios is really convenient. no more booting up dos to update your bios. Easytune is awsome to find out how to tweak every last bit of performance. The software bundle is awsome! norton 2001 and personal firewall. but also comes with some intel software i still gotta play with not sure what it does yet. also you do NOT need to install via 4 in 1 drivers! i have no such drivers installed and it is working with no problems. No soundblaster issues nothing. working flawlessly.

It use to reboot in 3dmark2001 but i found out my videocard was overheating and thats why it was rebooting like that. and the mouse doesn't lock up anymore either. so i worked the bugs out.

any questions? oh and the bundle was really cool .. you get 3 80-wire 40-pin cables and a floppy cable and a usb plug which reaches nicely in the first slot (the amr slot). has integrated audio for back up...

awsome board! and for 170 you cannot beat the price for what your getting... compare that to the kg7! you get raid.. ooo wow raid.. well the 7dxr has raid also and there is a modified bios you can get to do 0+1 raid. why u want raid is beyond me but whatever.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 08/20/01 11:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
lol xxsk8er101xx you sound like you work at Gigabyte :p
honestly you are the first person to have me even thinking of going for another board..

I would like to know besides your current board though if there is another all time fav. As you decribed your GA-7XDXR as i would my old BH6 back in the time.

Anyways thats for the response :)

Rop

oh you know lol... i was surprised myself you see ... i thought it was a good board but not this good. seroiusly ... it is soo stable ... it doesn't lock up on me.. so i can actually leave my computer on! when i go to reboot i get a blue screen but i've always had that problem. thats a windows issue lol as usual ... no just amazed of how much this board offers ... heh ... plus no VIA 4 in 1 is really nice! :) i just had to install AMD drivers instead :)

oh right other fav mobo.. well i only had 3 boards so far and the GA-7DXR is my favorite so far. I don't see why that wouldn't count? the kt7-raid was a little horrible in that my temps were insane 45-50C with this board your talkin 30-35C.. the highpoint raid always conflicted with my soundcard so i could never get that working. i did once actually but never again after that. Keeps conflicted with the USB controller and something else and to get it to work i have to disable one of them. it sucked! so yes the GA-7DXR is by far my favorite board because so far everything works. I haven't tested the onboard audio but i'm not worried about it. The RAID controller from Promise works perfectly.. just everything works.. unlike the kt7-raid... the board before that was an epox mp3-g2... by far the best socket 7 motherboard on the market at the time - my bro has it now. my friend is getting my kt7-raid.

sticken to it.. GA-7DXR the best board i swear!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

edited to add comments about other fav board<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 08/20/01 04:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I built several systems with the ASUS P2B-F. Great mobo !!
Now I'm running dual PIII 733EB's on a Supermicro PIIIDRE.

"It's not that I don't like people, I just seem to feel better when they're not around"

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Are you sure that he is your friend:) From the look of things, one would only give that KT7-RAID board to an enemy:)

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

You can mark me down as another vote for the Asus P2B-F. Yeah you had to move dip switches for overclocking, but the thing was just rock solid. My old P2B-F board is still operating in a friends system with a PIII-733 using a slocket adapter. (OK it is really a coppermine 550 overclocked to 733 on 133FSB).

I have an A7M266 now and like it quite a bit but I wish I could have gotten an AMD 760 based board without the *!#$* Via southbridge.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain