HP OfficeJet G55

i have tried to share this G55 to a XP-client through a Windows
2003-server - the printer works fine but is it possible to share the scanner
too? I would really prefer not to use my Windows 2003 server for scanning if
it is possible to do it from the XP-client... anyone?

// peter

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:26:24 +0200, peter hansen <wont@tell.you> wrote:
> i have tried to share this G55 to a XP-client through a Windows
> 2003-server - the printer works fine but is it possible to share the scanner
> too? I would really prefer not to use my Windows 2003 server for scanning if
> it is possible to do it from the XP-client... anyone?

You cannot scan through Windows file/printer sharing.

However, G85/G95 can network scan if connected to one of the models of
JetDirect listed as compatible (network scanning software is only included
with the G95, so I had to download it for our G85). Not sure if G55 can
use the same "g series" software. Check docs on your CD or HP website.
With our G85 on JetDirect 175x we can scan from several different XP boxes
on our office LAN. It helps if the JetDirect is assigned a static IP or
is left on so it retains its DHCP IP.

"David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:26:24 +0200, peter hansen <wont@tell.you> wrote:
>> i have tried to share this G55 to a XP-client through a Windows
>> 2003-server - the printer works fine but is it possible to share the
>> scanner
>> too? I would really prefer not to use my Windows 2003 server for scanning
>> if
>> it is possible to do it from the XP-client... anyone?
>
> You cannot scan through Windows file/printer sharing.
>
> However, G85/G95 can network scan if connected to one of the models of
> JetDirect listed as compatible (network scanning software is only included
> with the G95, so I had to download it for our G85).

So you downloaded the All-In-One-file and installed that? (which include
drivers and software for G95)... and what about the setup? Should I install
the G95-software on my Win2003 server as well as on my XP-client or what?

// peter

Fixed IP is just about the only way to deal with JetDirect units. If a
JetDirect gets its IP address from DHCP and it is powered down (as it might be
with an internal JetDirect), next time it gets a different IP address, thereby
confusing all the computers which access it... Ben Myers

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:48:55 +0200, peter hansen <wont@tell.you> wrote:

> "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:26:24 +0200, peter hansen <wont@tell.you> wrote:
>>> i have tried to share this G55 to a XP-client through a Windows
>>> 2003-server - the printer works fine but is it possible to share the
>>> scanner
>>> too? I would really prefer not to use my Windows 2003 server for scanning
>>> if
>>> it is possible to do it from the XP-client... anyone?
>>
>> You cannot scan through Windows file/printer sharing.
>>
>> However, G85/G95 can network scan if connected to one of the models of
>> JetDirect listed as compatible (network scanning software is only included
>> with the G95, so I had to download it for our G85).
>
> So you downloaded the All-In-One-file and installed that? (which include
> drivers and software for G95)... and what about the setup? Should I install
> the G95-software on my Win2003 server as well as on my XP-client or what?

The HP software I downloaded/installed was on XP (Pro). I would not know
if the software for Win2003 is the same or different or does not exist
(are g series OfficeJets still made or were they discontinued before
Win2003 came about?). Maybe the HP website would give a clue if the G55
is capable of scanning via network.

If you only want to print to a g series device on a JetDirect you do not
need any extra software. In XP, or I imagine Win2k or Win2003, you
would just configure a "local" TCP printing port and use the native
Windows printer driver (which even worked for WinNT, but using an old
Deskjet driver).

Without a JetDirect, it would be best to attach the G55 to the PC you want
to scan from it and share it for printing from other PC's with Win printer
sharing.