Who will VZW buy?

With the merger of Cingular and AT&T, I have just been waiting for VZW
to announce a merger that will turn things upside down. Does anyone
have any idea if something like that will happen?

Is it likely that VZW will continue to battle Cingular and AT&T on its
own with partnerships or do you think they will make a big purchase?

Who would be a likely candidate for VZW to buy that would provide the
type of coverage that could help VZW?

Just looking for opinions here. I know there are probably no absolute
answers that anyone can provide on the group, but it's an interesting
topic.
30 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Stephen wrote:

    > With the merger of Cingular and AT&T, I have just been waiting for VZW
    > to announce a merger that will turn things upside down. Does anyone
    > have any idea if something like that will happen?
    >
    > Is it likely that VZW will continue to battle Cingular and AT&T on its
    > own with partnerships or do you think they will make a big purchase?
    >
    > Who would be a likely candidate for VZW to buy that would provide the
    > type of coverage that could help VZW?

    A carrier that has coverage in the Plains states and has compatible technology,
    but the only major carrier I know that fits that description is Sprint PCS and
    I don't think they're selling...

    Verizon has been following a much more economical acquision program. They
    are picking up spectrum at relatively bargain prices. They were intitially
    offered the whole Qwest Wireless network for $2 Billion. They waited a
    couple years and picked it ALL up for only $400 Million, minus the
    customers.

    Today, they agreed to buy the NTelos network in PA, also at a "bargain." If
    they buy a large network, they would overpay. Their current plan to buy
    right and keep costs low, seems to be prudent. It will keeps the stock
    price high, and their money goes to the network, not to the bankers who
    financed Cingular.

    Bill Radio
    http://www.mountainwireless.com

    "Stephen" <hatethatspam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > With the merger of Cingular and AT&T, I have just been waiting for VZW
    > to announce a merger that will turn things upside down. Does anyone
    > have any idea if something like that will happen?

    Bill is right on the money. He has one VERY educated opinion. At this time
    the purchase of AT&T Wireless by Cingular isn't too big of a threat to
    Verizon Wireless as it will take at least three years for them to "get their
    stuff together." And the three year timeframe isn't my opinion, but the
    publicly stated opinion of Stan Sigman, Cingular CEO.

    -julie

    "Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
    > Verizon has been following a much more economical acquision program. They
    > are picking up spectrum at relatively bargain prices. They were
    > intitially
    > offered the whole Qwest Wireless network for $2 Billion. They waited a
    > couple years and picked it ALL up for only $400 Million, minus the
    > customers.
    >
    > Today, they agreed to buy the NTelos network in PA, also at a "bargain."
    > If
    > they buy a large network, they would overpay. Their current plan to buy
    > right and keep costs low, seems to be prudent. It will keeps the stock
    > price high, and their money goes to the network, not to the bankers who
    > financed Cingular.
    >
    > Bill Radio
    > Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
    > http://www.mountainwireless.com
    >

    > "Stephen" <hatethatspam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> With the merger of Cingular and AT&T, I have just been waiting for VZW
    >> to announce a merger that will turn things upside down. Does anyone
    >> have any idea if something like that will happen?

    Stephen, did you know that thanks to Vodafone (the 49% owners of VZW)
    Cingular paid $41 Billion for AWE? If you recall AWE was put on the auction
    block.

    "Stephen" <hatethatspam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > With the merger of Cingular and AT&T, I have just been waiting for VZW
    > to announce a merger that will turn things upside down. Does anyone
    > have any idea if something like that will happen?
    >
    > Is it likely that VZW will continue to battle Cingular and AT&T on its
    > own with partnerships or do you think they will make a big purchase?
    >
    > Who would be a likely candidate for VZW to buy that would provide the
    > type of coverage that could help VZW?
    >
    > Just looking for opinions here. I know there are probably no absolute
    > answers that anyone can provide on the group, but it's an interesting
    > topic.

    In news:co14n7$h4q$2@ratbert.glorb.com,
    Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> typed:
    [ ... ]
    > A carrier that has coverage in the Plains states and has compatible
    > technology, but the only major carrier I know that fits that
    > description is Sprint PCS and I don't think they're selling...

    ALLTEL might be a possibility - but for AC they pretty well blend together
    already.
    When I roam on ALLTEL in KS - everything works - except internet access is
    low speed.

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:43:55 -0700, "Bill Radio"
    <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:

    >Today, they agreed to buy the NTelos network in PA, also at a "bargain." If
    >they buy a large network, they would overpay.

    Is this the entire nTelos network, or just spectrum in PA?

    nTelos is actually a PCS carrier that serves a large chunk of areas
    like West Virginia and Virginia. It's based in the Shenandoah Valley
    area of VA, I believe. It was PCS CDMA when I was in Roanoke (VZW is
    A side CDMA/cellular and U.S. Cellular was B side).

    Mike

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:14:19 -0500, Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:43:55 -0700, "Bill Radio"
    ><Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Today, they agreed to buy the NTelos network in PA, also at a "bargain." If
    >>they buy a large network, they would overpay.
    >
    >Is this the entire nTelos network, or just spectrum in PA?

    Answering myself:

    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041123/nytu105_1.html

    (quoting:)

    BEDMINSTER, N.J., Nov. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Wireless and NTELOS
    Inc. today announced a definitive agreement for Verizon Wireless to
    purchase from NTELOS 10MHz spectrum licenses in Pennsylvania for $15.5
    million.

    The agreement includes spectrum licenses for the Harrisburg,
    Lancaster, Reading and York areas, which cover a population of 2.1
    million people. These licenses, all in the 1900 MHz frequency range,
    will be used to expand the company's network capacity in those markets
    to meet growing demand for the company's voice and data services.

    Sounds like Vodafone did a number on them. I just hope this helps open
    up some additional "extras" (like unlimited text messaging for a flat
    fee) at VZW. I don't mind paying a little more for VZW because I
    believe the network is just so much better. However, I would like to
    have them compete on some of the extras.

    Bill Radio wrote:

    >Verizon has been following a much more economical acquision program. They
    >are picking up spectrum at relatively bargain prices. They were intitially
    >offered the whole Qwest Wireless network for $2 Billion. They waited a
    >couple years and picked it ALL up for only $400 Million, minus the
    >customers.
    >
    >Today, they agreed to buy the NTelos network in PA, also at a "bargain." If
    >they buy a large network, they would overpay. Their current plan to buy
    >right and keep costs low, seems to be prudent. It will keeps the stock
    >price high, and their money goes to the network, not to the bankers who
    >financed Cingular.
    >
    >Bill Radio
    >Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
    >http://www.mountainwireless.com
    >

    >"Stephen" <hatethatspam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>With the merger of Cingular and AT&T, I have just been waiting for VZW
    >>to announce a merger that will turn things upside down. Does anyone
    >>have any idea if something like that will happen?

    smart people..... don't think the want their corp to be paying gobs of
    interest to the bankers.

    > Sounds like Vodafone did a number on them. I just hope this helps open
    > up some additional "extras" (like unlimited text messaging for a flat
    > fee) at VZW. I don't mind paying a little more for VZW because I
    > believe the network is just so much better. However, I would like to
    > have them compete on some of the extras.

    VZW has Text Bundles. However I don't see a Unlimited. But hey who knows.

    Elector

    Personally I would be happy just to see VZW improve its SMS system. It's
    quite lousy and unreliable.

    I would also alike VZW to improve it's international calling rates,
    international roaming rates. I still don't understand why I can't take my
    VZW CDMA handset anywhere in the Americas (i.e. Central and South) and use
    it if there are CDMA networks built out.

    I guess VZW is being compassionate to AT&T-Cingular by allowing them to be
    the best as something and therefore still capture some business.

    -julie

    hatethatspam@gmail.com (Stephen) wrote in <1101272573.274775.201840
    @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:

    >With the merger of Cingular and AT&T, I have just been waiting for VZW
    >to announce a merger that will turn things upside down. Does anyone
    >have any idea if something like that will happen?

    VZW just announced that it's going to acquire NextWave, the company that
    scammed the FCC out of billions of dollars in PCS auction revenue via the
    bankruptcy process. Nextwave had won a long court battle against the FCC,
    enabling it to keep licenses that it hadn't paid for. But they had not
    built out on time (well, they couldn't without knowing they had the
    licenses, but that's their problem), putting most of the licenses in
    jeopardy. So they settled last year, returning some of the licenses (re-
    auction begins Jan. 26) and keeping some. VZW first bought some NYC
    bandwidth, and now has agreed to pick up the rest of the ones Nextwave
    kept. So that fills in some gaps and gives them more bandwidth in other
    markets.

    I don't expect VZW to acquire a major competitor (they're too big already)
    but they're more than willing to buy 10 MHz here, 20 MHz there.

    --
    Fred R. Goldstein k1io fgoldstein"at" wn.net
    These are my own opinions. You expect anyone else to agree?

    What in the world are you talking about? I've had VZW for a couple of
    years now. Typically I have a 150-200 SMS message count each month. I
    message to a couple of pagers, the rest wireless phones. RARELY do I have
    to resend a message. And the incoming messages are delivered promptly ...
    except those coming from AT&T customers (delay can range from 2 minutes to
    ONE DAY). I'm in the Orange County/San Bernardino county area mostly. I
    think your experience is either local or with your phone.
    --

    - Philip

    "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:bhrpd.1449$Ua.352@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > What in the world are you talking about? I've had VZW for a couple of years now.

    SMS messages are supposed to be reliable (I they get delivered or you
    are notified of failure). Try this as a little test - send a message
    to your home landline phone.

    Roger

    Roger Binns wrote:
    > "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:bhrpd.1449$Ua.352@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    >
    >>What in the world are you talking about? I've had VZW for a couple of years now.
    >

    > SMS messages are supposed to be reliable (I they get delivered or you
    > are notified of failure). Try this as a little test - send a message
    > to your home landline phone.

    You can't. Strawman. Or, if you prefer seafood, red herring. :)

    "Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message

    > "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> What in the world are you talking about? I've had VZW for a couple of
    >> years now.
    >
    > SMS messages are supposed to be reliable (I they get delivered or you
    > are notified of failure). Try this as a little test - send a message
    > to your home landline phone.
    >
    > Roger

    Ok. I sent an SMS to my landline. The phone shows it sent the message.
    After five minutes, no response back (ie, undeliverable). (shrug)

    ~Philip

    "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:rMupd.747$Z%5.562@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > Ok. I sent an SMS to my landline. The phone shows it sent the message. After five minutes, no response back (ie, undeliverable).
    > (shrug)

    When I do it, the phone says the message was sent successfully.
    Nothing else happens at any later point. Do you actually get
    a second message 5 minutes saying it wasn't delivered?

    Roger

    Roger Binns wrote:
    > "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Ok. I sent an SMS to my landline. The phone shows it sent the
    >> message. After five minutes, no response back (ie, undeliverable).
    >> (shrug)
    >
    > When I do it, the phone says the message was sent successfully.
    > Nothing else happens at any later point. Do you actually get
    > a second message 5 minutes saying it wasn't delivered?
    >
    > Roger

    I never got an "Message Underliverable" (like you do from web based email)
    response from the system.

    --

    - Philip

    "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:co67jt$moe$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
    > You can't. Strawman. Or, if you prefer seafood, red herring. :)

    Care to translate that into something we can understand?

    Roger

    "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:X6zpd.873$Z%5.441@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > Roger Binns wrote:
    >> "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> Ok. I sent an SMS to my landline. The phone shows it sent the
    >>> message. After five minutes, no response back (ie, undeliverable).
    >>> (shrug)
    >>
    >> When I do it, the phone says the message was sent successfully.
    >> Nothing else happens at any later point. Do you actually get
    >> a second message 5 minutes saying it wasn't delivered?
    >
    > I never got an "Message Underliverable" (like you do from web based email) response from the system.

    This was to prove my point that Verizon's SMS system lets you send
    to numbers that don't even have SMS and will say it has been successfully
    delivered when it hasn't. There are quite a few more scenarios under
    which it does this, but this was the easiest demonstration. This is
    IMHO a problem if you ever accidentally transpose digits, write down numbers
    and type them in, pick the wrong number from a contact ever. ie not
    a problem for infallible people, but certainly an issue for normal
    people.

    Roger

    Roger Binns wrote:
    > "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:co67jt$moe$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
    >
    >>You can't. Strawman. Or, if you prefer seafood, red herring. :)
    >

    > Care to translate that into something we can understand?

    "The fact that you can't send SMS to a landline is irrelevant to the argument
    at hand."

    strawman = argument irrelevant to the point you're making
    red herring = essentially the same thing (except IIRC, it's a point made to
    intentionally confuse the issue, whereas a strawman argument isn't)

    "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:co8csm$6kv$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
    > "The fact that you can't send SMS to a landline is irrelevant to the argument at hand."

    It is *totally* relevant. Someone contended that the VZW SMS implementation
    was very good. I am showing one hole, which is that it will claim messages
    to be delivered when they cannot possibly be delivered, with an example
    proof as you state above.

    Roger

    Roger Binns wrote:
    > "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Roger Binns wrote:
    >>> "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> When I do it, the phone says the message was sent successfully.
    >>> Nothing else happens at any later point. Do you actually get
    >>> a second message 5 minutes saying it wasn't delivered?
    >>
    >> I never got an "Message Underliverable" (like you do from web
    >> based email) response from the system.
    >
    > This was to prove my point that Verizon's SMS system lets you send
    > to numbers that don't even have SMS and will say it has been
    > successfully delivered when it hasn't. There are quite a few more
    > scenarios
    > under which it does this, but this was the easiest demonstration. This is
    > IMHO a problem if you ever accidentally transpose digits, write
    > down numbers and type them in, pick the wrong number from a contact ever.
    > ie not
    > a problem for infallible people, but certainly an issue for normal
    > people.
    >
    > Roger

    Well... this may border on a matter of semantics. What my phone displays is
    the word "Successful". To me that simply means the transmission insofar as
    the phone itself is concerned was ... "successful." But you are
    interpreting "successful" to mean a confirmation response from the
    recipient's system. ;-) I also tried sending an SMS to my email account.
    Before doing this, I reset Outlook Express to always send a receipt for read
    email and reset my phone to "Delivery Acknowledgement." Still no
    confirmation message from my email account back to my phone. Is it supposed
    to?

    ~Philip

    "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:CGLpd.192$6K5.75@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > Well... this may border on a matter of semantics. What my phone displays is
    > the word "Successful". To me that simply means the transmission insofar as
    > the phone itself is concerned was ... "successful."

    My phone tells me when the message was saved, when it was sent, and
    when it was delivered. If you have two mobile lines, turn the second
    one off and then send a message to it from the first. For me there
    will be no delivered field. Once the second line is turned on, the
    delivered field will be updated within a few minutes.

    > But you are
    > interpreting "successful" to mean a confirmation response from the
    > recipient's system. ;-)

    You are confusing SMS with email. SMS is a *reliable* message
    delivery mechanism. SMS tracks the actual delivery.

    Email is not a reliable message delivery mechanism. The delivery/read
    acknowledgements are a hack, and are delivered by the same mechanism
    as the original message

    For email messages, they can only track as far as dumping the message
    onto the next hop on the Internet and I am fine with that. For SMS
    they have no excuse. It is either failed delivery, pending somewhere
    or delivered. And they get that wrong.

    Roger

    Roger

    > "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    >> I never got an "Message Underliverable" (like you do from web based
    >> email) response from the system.
    >
    > This was to prove my point that Verizon's SMS system lets you send
    > to numbers that don't even have SMS and will say it has been successfully
    > delivered when it hasn't. There are quite a few more scenarios under
    > which it does this, but this was the easiest demonstration. This is
    > IMHO a problem if you ever accidentally transpose digits, write down
    > numbers
    > and type them in, pick the wrong number from a contact ever. ie not
    > a problem for infallible people, but certainly an issue for normal
    > people.
    >
    > Roger

    Roger: I took went a bit further with this SMS 'message sent' business. On
    my phone (Audiovox 9155) there is a 'setting' called "enhanced
    acknowledgement" (two other choices are Normal and None). When set to
    "enhanced" I get back a time/date stamped message even IF the recipient is
    just a land line. LOL

    Philip

    Roger Binns wrote:
    snip
    > For email messages, they can only track as far as dumping the
    > message onto the next hop on the Internet and I am fine with that. For
    > SMS
    > they have no excuse. It is either failed delivery, pending
    > somewhere or delivered. And they get that wrong.
    >
    > Roger

    Interesting. I'll have to leave the 'delivery confirmation' feature turned
    ON for a day or two to see for myself how reliable it is in phone to phone
    SMS. Just curious. I've sent three such messages this evening and got a
    prompt 'message delivered' back within 30 seconds each time. Does this
    return confirmation count as an additional SMS on my message allotment for
    the month? There's no record of these confirmations in my phone's Inbox.

    --

    - Philip

    Roger Binns wrote:
    > "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >> "The fact that you can't send SMS to a landline is irrelevant to
    >> the argument at hand."
    >
    > It is *totally* relevant. Someone contended that the VZW SMS
    > implementation was very good. I am showing one hole, which is that it
    > will claim
    > messages to be delivered when they cannot possibly be delivered, with an
    > example proof as you state above.
    >
    > Roger

    Er... umm ... my "Sending" screen only comes back with the word
    "Successful". Apparently that only means the phone completed a transmission
    .... into the abyss if the recipient is not another phone, pager, or web
    address. Poor little message got pushed off into space! LOL But if the
    message is picked up by a 'reliable' recipient, a "Delivered" confirmation
    bounces back.

    --

    - Philip

    "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:%OSpd.690$6K5.342@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > Er... umm ... my "Sending" screen only comes back with the word "Successful".

    Have a look in your "Outbox" or equivalent on the phone. On mine
    that is where it shows the times and status of the messages.

    > message is picked up by a 'reliable' recipient, a "Delivered" confirmation bounces back.

    Presumably your phone is showing the delivery as a second message.
    My phone updates the message in the Outbox.

    Note that I am only talking about SMS to SMS here, not email or anything
    else.

    Roger

    No, the delivery confirmation does not take away from your message
    bucket nor does it charge you. My wife has a Kyocera that will not
    allow you to turn off delivery confirmation. It pops up a message
    after the SMS is received by another VZW phone. I asked VZW customer
    support how to turn it off once because it was annoying, but they said
    the manufacturer will not allow it to be turned off (even though I
    thought I saw an option in the menu.. that didn't work of course). At
    that point I raised the question of being billed for confirmations to
    the rep and she said I would not be billed. I have received many bills
    since then and have not seen evidence of billing for the confirmation
    messages.

    My VX6000 shows the delivery confirmation in the outbox (which is very
    cool). Same concept as the Kyocera, just a different mechanism for
    displaying it.

    Found this article and thought it might be on topic...

    The once-stable wireless scene has gone nuts: Cingular purchased AT&T
    Wireless, then Sprint went after Nextel, and now there's word that Verizon
    has received approval from its investment partner Vodaphone to also make a
    bid for Nextel. There's even some word that Verizon will wait for Sprint to
    purchase Nextel, then purchase the merged companies. All this would
    certainly put Phase II into a different light, and there's lots of
    speculation about what the maneuvering might do for the 800 MHz
    reorganization recently proposed by the FCC.

    "Fred Goldstein" <fgoldstein@wn.DO-NOT-SPAM-ME.net> wrote in message
    > hatethatspam@gmail.com (Stephen) wrote in <1101272573.274775.201840
    > @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:
    >
    >>With the merger of Cingular and AT&T, I have just been waiting for VZW
    >>to announce a merger that will turn things upside down. Does anyone
    >>have any idea if something like that will happen?
    >
    > VZW just announced that it's going to acquire NextWave, the company that
    > scammed the FCC out of billions of dollars in PCS auction revenue via the
    > bankruptcy process. Nextwave had won a long court battle against the FCC,
    > enabling it to keep licenses that it hadn't paid for. But they had not
    > built out on time (well, they couldn't without knowing they had the
    > licenses, but that's their problem), putting most of the licenses in
    > jeopardy. So they settled last year, returning some of the licenses (re-
    > auction begins Jan. 26) and keeping some. VZW first bought some NYC
    > bandwidth, and now has agreed to pick up the rest of the ones Nextwave
    > kept. So that fills in some gaps and gives them more bandwidth in other
    > markets.
    >
    > I don't expect VZW to acquire a major competitor (they're too big already)
    > but they're more than willing to buy 10 MHz here, 20 MHz there.
    >
    > --
    > Fred R. Goldstein k1io fgoldstein"at" wn.net
    > These are my own opinions. You expect anyone else to agree?

Verizon At&T Cingular Internet Service Providers