Upgrade Laptop to XP Pro?

I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP Pro
upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't do
it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Sounds like a
bunch of bunk to me. I think they just want me to buy from them. Is their
claim possible?

Thanks in advance... Bob
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade laptop

    I haven't heard of drivers for Windows XP Home not working on the
    Professional version . They are almost similiar Operating Systems . You can
    go ahead and try it out , but do a full backup of your files before you
    proceed .

    "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP Pro
    > upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't
    > do
    > it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Sounds like a
    > bunch of bunk to me. I think they just want me to buy from them. Is
    > their
    > claim possible?
    >
    > Thanks in advance... Bob

    there probably right - they designed the thing - however you could try the
    upgrade anyway and uninstall it when it doesn't support all the devices :-)
    good luck
    Alasdair

    OMG is this true ?

    Then i guess i get the same problem on this Pavilion
    ze4900 delivered with Home edition, ive upgraded to
    Profession, but when i try to do a windows update i get
    error 0x80244010 when i scans my PC.

> [...]

    probable solution uninstall xp pro upgrade
    Alasdair

Laptops Compaq Windows XP