How "core voltage @ 3.45 volts"??

bungee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Hi! I have an athlon 1200 with MSI-6380 K7T266 Pro and I have some difficulties to start my computer. The screen doesn't receive any signal and Windows donesn't load, but my CD-drives are running.
My e-mail to my dealer has been answered that way: "You need to raise your core voltage to 3.45 volts".
I have heard about the CPU core voltage which is at about 1.75, heard about DDR voltage which is between 2.5 and 2.7 but I have never heard of a core voltage that should be at 3.45. What is it and, mostly important, how do we raise it??
Thanks a lot guys!

<font color=red> I won't sign without my lawyer's presence!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
no processor today has 3.45 core voltage, it must be the I/O voltage but even that is 3.3V!

if your system isnt working then you can try standard troubleshooting procedures to get around the problem. just dont set Vcore to 3.45. in fact you cant, its max value is 1.85V.

your CD drive is not running, its initialising itself on powerup just like other devices, but no code is running.

listen for the beeps. they give out valuable troubleshooting information.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The dealer dude meant your I/O voltage. Raising that will help make the video card work, especially if your power supply is not up to par.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

If you decide to change out power supplies, I recommend sparkle. I use a 235 watt ( I know it's not powerful enough), but it is quiet and keeps my case 3-4 degrees cooler than 2 other power supplies I've tried. I have my athlon 1.2 running at 1.33, but could go higher if my room temp were lower ( I don't run the a/c much). Check pricewatch and if you don't go with sparkle and have the bucks, get a 400 watt dual fan model to help keep your case cool.

bungee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Ok, I guess that is really the i/o voltage, but how we change it? In the BIOS, or is there a switch somewhere?

<font color=red> Hail the 10th anniversary of the fall of the great Sovyetskikh soyuz empire!

bungee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Even on a jumper free mobo like my MSI-6380 K7T266?

<font color=red> Hail the 10th anniversary of the fall of the great Sovyetskikh soyuz empire!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My Asus boards only do I/O adjustment by jumper, most other settings are available in BIOS. I don't know about your MSI board, read the manual!

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Jumper-free motherboards always have jumpers on them :)

It'll probably be in the BIOS. It's in my Abit BIOS.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

bungee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Hmmmm... it's getting embarassing. I read my manual already three times and they never talked about setting the i/o, by jumper or BIOS. they only mention that once when they say that it DISPLAYS the vio, but that's it.
My question, then, is does every motherboards have their VIO modifiable? Or is it only a special feature for some?