First of all, I am new to this group. And I am not sure if this is the right place to ask about BIOS. So, I hope you guys can bare with me. thanx!
The reason I want to update BIOS to the latest version because BIOS can only dectect about "31 G" of HD space after I installed "Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM Hard Drive". I want to find the rest of 9 G HD space back by updating my BIOS. Keep in mind that my BIOS is "version 1002" right now. And My Mother board is "ASUS P2B 440 BX"
okay, here are the questions.
1. Would updating BIOS into the latest version "definitely" solve my HD space problem (find the rest 9 G back) ?
2. Which untility should I use to flash my BIOS? "aflash.exe" or "pflash.exe"?
3. I have "ASUS P2B 440 BX" mother board, and I "THINK" I already found the right BIOS "update file". But, i don't want to risk. I heard that if I messed up with BIOS update, I will have to get a new mother board. Can anyone confirm if this the right BIOS updating file for my mother board?
4. Okay, Let's say if I got the right flash untility and right updating file, What is the chance of "SUCCESS" in updating my BIOS? 50%? 75 % etc,,,?
5. I am pretty new to BIOS, is there any precaution I MUST take before/during/after updating BIOS?
And I think that's all the questions. I already read the instruction on ASUS.com, but some of instructions are not clear to me. I already send a e-mail to ASUS Tech support team, but got NO reply from them for 3 weeks. I really want to do this, so I can the learn how to update BIOS, and get my 9 G of HD space back.
I hope someone who is the expert in this can help the newbie out.
And again THANX YOU FOR READING!!!
I will check back later!
That is the right file.
First unzip AFlash.exe to a bootable floppy.
Next unzip bios update to disk.
Now boot computer with disk.
At command prompt type aflash.exe.
Save old bios to floppy.
Now flash bios.
I usually flash it twice.
Now restart computer and enter bios.
Load bios defaults.
Now make bios tweeks.
If for any reason bios flash fails,DO NOT TURN OFF COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MAKE another floppy and try again.
IF this fails download bios and try again.
I aint signing nothing!!!
August 19, 2001 10:59:24 PM
hey! thanx for the reply, but i don't understand when you say "Now flash BIOS."
do u mean update BIOS?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by steelsink on 08/19/01 07:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>