Getting incorrect "low disk space" warning (disk is not fu..

sjm

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004

I repeatedly get a bubble pop-up that says "low disk
space." At this time the computer actually shows that the
disk is full and acts like it is, but upon rebooting, the
disk shows its true storage, which is not full. This
happens repeatedly and so i must reboot many times per day.

can anyone help?
thank you

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Here's a microsoft link about it and how to get rid of
it :

http://windows.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?
site=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx%3Fscid=kb%
3BEN%2DUS%3Bq285107

I have the same problem, and removing the bubble is no solution since the OS
behaves like the disk is full with or without the bubble...

the disk seems to me filing up with i dont know what, reboting resets the
free disk sise to its true sise

I have a 10gb disk and on start 3gb are free, about 5 hours later i have no
free disk space...why? dunno.

"sjm" wrote:

> I repeatedly get a bubble pop-up that says "low disk
> space." At this time the computer actually shows that the
> disk is full and acts like it is, but upon rebooting, the
> disk shows its true storage, which is not full. This
> happens repeatedly and so i must reboot many times per day.
>
> can anyone help?
> thank you

Luis: What you are experiencing is typical of a virus or spyware. The
infection gradually fills your RAM and/or hard disk with its files until you
run out of space. You can regain the space by re-booting, but then the
virus/spyware gets to work again. We see this problem every day in these
groups.

--
Ted Zieglar

"Luís" <Lus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem, and removing the bubble is no solution since the
OS
> behaves like the disk is full with or without the bubble...
>
> the disk seems to me filing up with i dont know what, reboting resets the
> free disk sise to its true sise
>
> I have a 10gb disk and on start 3gb are free, about 5 hours later i have
no
> free disk space...why? dunno.
>

> "sjm" wrote:
>
> > I repeatedly get a bubble pop-up that says "low disk
> > space." At this time the computer actually shows that the
> > disk is full and acts like it is, but upon rebooting, the
> > disk shows its true storage, which is not full. This
> > happens repeatedly and so i must reboot many times per day.
> >
> > can anyone help?
> > thank you

Thank you Ted :)

I used Microsoft recomended PC Cillin Internet security 2005
antivirus/firewall solution. No threats detected.

Using a free online scaner found me 36 infected files.

w32/sober.I.worm
w32/Zafi.D.worm

If my costumer opinion is of any value to MS, id recomend they review their
partnership with this company.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Luis: What you are experiencing is typical of a virus or spyware. The
> infection gradually fills your RAM and/or hard disk with its files until you
> run out of space. You can regain the space by re-booting, but then the
> virus/spyware gets to work again. We see this problem every day in these
> groups.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Luís" <Lus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have the same problem, and removing the bubble is no solution since the
> OS
> > behaves like the disk is full with or without the bubble...
> >
> > the disk seems to me filing up with i dont know what, reboting resets the
> > free disk sise to its true sise
> >
> > I have a 10gb disk and on start 3gb are free, about 5 hours later i have
> no
> > free disk space...why? dunno.
> >

> > "sjm" wrote:
> >
> > > I repeatedly get a bubble pop-up that says "low disk
> > > space." At this time the computer actually shows that the
> > > disk is full and acts like it is, but upon rebooting, the
> > > disk shows its true storage, which is not full. This
> > > happens repeatedly and so i must reboot many times per day.
> > >
> > > can anyone help?
> > > thank you

OK, now we're cookin'. Something to keep in mind: Only have one antivirus
program installed on your computer at a time. Having more than one actually
makes your computer more susceptible to infection, not less.

It sounds like you'll be following manual removal instructions. Do so with
great care and create a restore point before you start.