Sign in with
Your question

Who still believes gabe newell

Last response: in Video Games
September 10, 2011 7:01:00 PM

When he said they are working on episode 3.

I Mean how is it that Mass Effect 2 and very soon Mass Effect 3 will be out. Thats 2 full games and gabe can't get an episode out in that time.

How about Battlefield bad company 2 and now in a month or two we have battlefield 3 which is on a new engine I mean its just ridiculous how progressive these other companies are and valve can't even tell us what they are doing if anything at all other than more left 4 dead's.

Seems that valve can't release one 3rd of a game when they already have the engine, models and voice actors when these other companies are making new game engines and making games from scratch and multiple full games.

Sort of a rant but Valve has disappointed me more than any other game company and in all honesty I feel very confident that we will get to the end of 2012 and still not have any news on it.

What do you think.

More about : believes gabe newell

September 11, 2011 3:41:29 PM

I think with steam rolling along they decided they would rather count the mountains of cash they were getting than develop new games.
September 11, 2011 7:43:04 PM

because mass effect series uses existing tech that they bought to develop, while valve creates their own game engines, which i would imagine that episode 3 will use an updated version of source. Besides, they most likely want to solidify the world and story with it, as well as take their time to get it right. I would rather get an epic installment rather than a game pumped out every year that is more of the same.
Related resources
September 12, 2011 6:22:10 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
because mass effect series uses existing tech that they bought to develop, while valve creates their own game engines, which i would imagine that episode 3 will use an updated version of source. Besides, they most likely want to solidify the world and story with it, as well as take their time to get it right. I would rather get an epic installment rather than a game pumped out every year that is more of the same.

Thats a failed theory because DNF took forever and sucked. Time doesn't = a good game.

Look how quickly they made ME 2, Fear 3, Fear 2, Bioshock 2 and Bioshock infinite soon which looks very promising.

I am looking forward mostly to Dishonored in 2012 which used the same artistic group as half life did but they said in this game they really went properly steampunk.

I am a big fan of Half life but Dishonored really does look better plus we will actually be able to play it next year.

September 12, 2011 6:35:58 AM

squareenixx said:
Thats a failed theory because DNF took forever and sucked. Time doesn't = a good game.

Look how quickly they made ME 2, Fear 3, Fear 2, Bioshock 2 and Bioshock infinite soon which looks very promising.

I am looking forward mostly to Dishonored in 2012 which used the same artistic group as half life did but they said in this game they really went properly steampunk.

I am a big fan of Half life but Dishonored really does look better plus we will actually be able to play it next year.

You're right here, longer waiting time doesn't necessarily make a release better. Half Life has one of the better stories out there in the history of PC games, but developers might want to try for some improvements in the gameplay to keep that story afloat.

And honestly now, F.E.A.R 2 and 3 might have been released fast, but they didn't stand up to original F.E.A.R. Bioshock, yeah, that made it well, in my opinion. I guess it's pretty hard to come up with a good product, there's a thin line to walk between time and quality, which is not easy to spot at times.
September 12, 2011 7:21:35 AM

It's been so long since Ep2 that releasing EP 3 now would make no sense. I would prefer that Valve build a new engine from scratch and develop a proper sequel, HL3 rather than HL2-and-a-bit. They may be busy with this already for all we know.
September 12, 2011 11:03:08 AM

Herr_Koos said:
It's been so long since Ep2 that releasing EP 3 now would make no sense. I would prefer that Valve build a new engine from scratch and develop a proper sequel, HL3 rather than HL2-and-a-bit. They may be busy with this already for all we know.

Thats what gets me Gabe said the episodes are half life 3 so if they released another full game it should be HL4.

Or what I have a hunch they might be combining EP3 and HL4 so you finish off the last episode in the new engine and then go directly onto HL4.

But then again they are called Half Life 2 episode.... so the naming would suggest there should be a release called HL3.

All I know is I honestly don't expect to see or hear any official news about half life from Gabe for a long time.
September 12, 2011 11:10:55 AM

Yeah, I never really bought the "episodes=HL3" bit. Releasing a new game now and calling it HL4 would confuse the crap out of everyone.
September 12, 2011 12:31:05 PM

I think Valve dropped the ball on this one. The whole reason for going to episodes was to get out quick releases, every 6 months from what I remember. They said players would appreciate this more than the 3 - 6 year development cycle of a full game. Well, we got neither a full game or episodes that were released quickly.
September 12, 2011 1:43:58 PM

squareenixx said:

Your theory is flawed a bit, as fear 3 was made by a different company as fear 2, and also bioshock 2 was made by a different company than the first one, so development processes are taking place on each installment simultaneously as the other is being released. So technically bioshock infinite is taking 5 years to develop by the company that made the original game. I dont doubt that it will be a long while before the next installment comes out, but im not writing off vlave just because they are taking their time with this one. I am not sure if DNF was ever technically developed for a full 10 years or whatever or just thrown together in a year after 10 years of waiting for a company to take the bait and publish it. The people that made DNF aren't valve, and that should count for something.
September 12, 2011 6:18:15 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
Your theory is flawed a bit, as fear 3 was made by a different company as fear 2, and also bioshock 2 was made by a different company than the first one, so development processes are taking place on each installment simultaneously as the other is being released. So technically bioshock infinite is taking 5 years to develop by the company that made the original game. I dont doubt that it will be a long while before the next installment comes out, but im not writing off vlave just because they are taking their time with this one. I am not sure if DNF was ever technically developed for a full 10 years or whatever or just thrown together in a year after 10 years of waiting for a company to take the bait and publish it. The people that made DNF aren't valve, and that should count for something.

Ha Bioshock 1 and 2 are both developed by 2k games and digital extremes.

Garry Schyman also composed both.

Not a very good argument you have since.
Battle Field games are all made by the same company.
Bioshock 1 and 2 are by the same company.
Fear 1 and 2 are by the same company.
The Stalker games are by the same company.
Mass Effect 1,2,3 are by the same company.
Fallout games are by the same company.

And they all release games in half the time valve does and at least they tell us whats going on.

Lets not forget that even in cases like FEAR 2 and FEAR 3 it doesn't matter that its a different company the whole point is that they got it out fast. In fact I think its even more impressive that another company can pick up a title and release a game so good and so quick and hit the games feeling right on.
September 12, 2011 6:33:12 PM

But honestly valve has completely F'ed up big time and there is no questioning about it.

In a couple of months we will be in 2012 and then valve has taken 5 years and hasn't even officially said they are even making it.

From what I can tell nearly all companies announce games about a year before they are actually released and release trailers around 6-7 months before their release.

Judging from this norm the soonest possible date we could actually play it is in 2013 but thats wishful thinking that valve will even announce it in 2012. If there is no announcement in 2012 (which I expect) then valve will be set up for a 7 year dev period at the least.
September 12, 2011 7:01:08 PM

Bioshock 1 was produced by irrational headed by lavine but called 2k Boston for that release. Bioshock 2 was developed by 2k Marin, and yes it matters Boston and Marin are 2 completely different studios of developers. That's just like ubisoft Montreal being its own studio but still ubisoft. That's how they trick consumers into thinking that a studio can pump out a game every year. Same goes for infinity ward and treyarch pumping out call of duty every year. Its just like the way EA tricks people into thinking that visceral games used to just be an EA studio now it is still but just a different name.
September 12, 2011 7:14:52 PM

I just don't see why the wait isn't worth it since this is valve we are talking about. They can take their sweet time as far as im concerned because I know the end result will be phenomenal
September 12, 2011 7:59:11 PM

Completely False In everyway possible even if your saying Fallout 3 and New Vegas....

Fallout 1 Interplay
Fallout 2 Interplay
Fallout 3 Bethesda
Fallout NV Obsidian Entertainment

Anyways Have you ever made a game? Ever Made a Game Engine? Ever Done Modeling?

It's an Extremely Difficult task. And If there still using the Source Engine then I Can see why it takes them quite a while since that engine is outdated and very poorly laid out (The way you make levels, and do triggers and so on) If there making a new "Source" Engine then that'll take a long time too.

Plus they have DOTA 2 And CS GO In development so who knows maybe Most of the Staff is working hard on those while 1/4 of the people are working On HL3

All I Can Say is be patient Like theres other games out there.

-Mithness
September 12, 2011 8:09:46 PM

With acclaim like this:

We started with Half-Life®, the first-person, sci-fi shooter game that’s won more than 50 Game of the Year and a few "Best Game Ever" awards.

You'd think valve would want to appease their fans, not to mention put more money in their pockets.
September 13, 2011 7:25:06 AM

Maybe they are suffering from writer/developers block? HL was a game-changer (plus it spawned CounterStrike), HL2 was awesome, so where do you go from here?

They might still be stuck on storyboards and scripts, trying to figure out how the heck to bring the whole Freeman saga to a satisfying conclusion.
September 13, 2011 7:28:58 AM

It's probably easier for them to come up with a good story than the technical aspects.
September 13, 2011 2:02:34 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
Bioshock 1 was produced by irrational headed by lavine but called 2k Boston for that release. Bioshock 2 was developed by 2k Marin, and yes it matters Boston and Marin are 2 completely different studios of developers. That's just like ubisoft Montreal being its own studio but still ubisoft. That's how they trick consumers into thinking that a studio can pump out a game every year. Same goes for infinity ward and treyarch pumping out call of duty every year. Its just like the way EA tricks people into thinking that visceral games used to just be an EA studio now it is still but just a different name.

Japan has multiple production factories for Mazda and so on just because Mazda can't create a mega factory to produce everything doesn't make the other factories not producing Mazda products because they aren't at headquarters.

I mean even Mcdonalds it doesn't matter if you buy it in America or China its the same thing for gods sake.
September 13, 2011 2:08:49 PM

Mithness said:

Completely False In everyway possible even if your saying Fallout 3 and New Vegas....

Fallout 1 Interplay
Fallout 2 Interplay
Fallout 3 Bethesda
Fallout NV Obsidian Entertainment

Anyways Have you ever made a game? Ever Made a Game Engine? Ever Done Modeling?

It's an Extremely Difficult task. And If there still using the Source Engine then I Can see why it takes them quite a while since that engine is outdated and very poorly laid out (The way you make levels, and do triggers and so on) If there making a new "Source" Engine then that'll take a long time too.

Plus they have DOTA 2 And CS GO In development so who knows maybe Most of the Staff is working hard on those while 1/4 of the people are working On HL3

All I Can Say is be patient Like theres other games out there.

-Mithness

To be honest I really just added fallout in my list without looking it up. But according to Wiki Inon Zur composed both and Bethesda did help a bit with Vegas but mainly they were patching.

Also yes I know how to 3d model and its easy, Probably the easiest part of game production especially with the motion capture all the companies use now.

Also I have made a game but not a game engine that is a bit beyond me but valve just have to heavily mod source like other companies have modded unreal engine and got great results.

Saying that because a customer can't make half life themselves they don't have a right to complain when nearly all other companies are offering better release service its just ridiculous.

I mean the release rate of square-enix games is astounding and they are already working on ffXV right now. BTW I didn't like XIII and XIV online isn't my sort of thing but square-enix said they are returning to the real rpg fantasy with XV because they have got feedback from their customers.

See and valve won't even tell use that they are even making half life 2 episode 3 or HL3. I mean why is it such a big secret what they make other companies tell their fans whats coming up.
September 13, 2011 3:39:14 PM

squareenixx said:
Japan has multiple production factories for Mazda and so on just because Mazda can't create a mega factory to produce everything doesn't make the other factories not producing Mazda products because they aren't at headquarters.

I mean even Mcdonalds it doesn't matter if you buy it in America or China its the same thing for gods sake.

You have missed the points everyone is trying to make so im done with this thread, have fun assuming how things work instead of researching then speaking. If I knew this was going be someone rant on how they don't like valves business practice then I wouldn't have gotten involved. You clearly don't understand the relationship between developer and publisher or 3rd party content and how they work.
!