Slow Performance with State of the Art PC

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I have a brand new Dell Optiplex 280 PC 3.2 ghz with 512MG and 80GB SATA
Hard Drive. I have a USB Hub hooked up to it. My other pc is a 2.0 Ghz
with 512 Dimension 4550 and if we turn on at the same time the 2.0 gets to
the desktop quicker. Is it my USB Hub or is it something else that my PC
takes longer at Loading Personal Settings?

HELP

THanks

"Norman Rosenthal" <norman@donotspam.com> wrote in message
>I have a brand new Dell Optiplex 280 PC 3.2 ghz with 512MG and 80GB SATA
>Hard Drive. I have a USB Hub hooked up to it. My other pc is a 2.0 Ghz
>with 512 Dimension 4550 and if we turn on at the same time the 2.0 gets to
>the desktop quicker. Is it my USB Hub or is it something else that my PC
>takes longer at Loading Personal Settings?

CPU speed doesn't really make a lot of difference. RAM speed and size,
drive speed are the main factors there.

Service Pack 2 does increase loading time slightly in my experience, so you
might wanna make sure both machines are up to date with that, more programs
could be starting up on one of them so that could be why.

What speed drives are in the machines? The drive may also need
defragmenting (My Computer / Right click drive / properties / tools).

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

They are both 7200 RPM

I have defragged both of them

> They are both 7200 RPM
>
> I have defragged both of them

Yeah but different manufacturers and models can perform at totally different
speeds. The chipset on the motherboard and other traffic on the PCI bus can
have massive effect on drive speed.

You could check in msconfig (Start -> Run - type msconfig and hit enter).
Look under the startup tab more stuff you got loading slower it will be.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Even with more memory and a faster processor!!!

Does my USB Hub have anything to do with it on 1 pc vs the other not having
one
> "Norman Rosenthal" <norman@donotspam.com> wrote in message
>> They are both 7200 RPM
>>
>> I have defragged both of them
>
> Yeah but different manufacturers and models can perform at totally
> different speeds. The chipset on the motherboard and other traffic on the
> PCI bus can have massive effect on drive speed.
>
> You could check in msconfig (Start -> Run - type msconfig and hit enter).
> Look under the startup tab more stuff you got loading slower it will be.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.
>
> *Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Norman Rosenthal wrote:

> Even with more memory and a faster processor!!!
>
> Does my USB Hub have anything to do with it on 1 pc vs the other not having
> one
> "Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>"Norman Rosenthal" <norman@donotspam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>They are both 7200 RPM
>>>
>>>I have defragged both of them
>>
>>Yeah but different manufacturers and models can perform at totally
>>different speeds. The chipset on the motherboard and other traffic on the
>>PCI bus can have massive effect on drive speed.
>>
>>You could check in msconfig (Start -> Run - type msconfig and hit enter).
>>Look under the startup tab more stuff you got loading slower it will be.
>>
>>--
>>Paul Smith,
>> Yeovil, UK.
>>http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.
>>
>>*Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*

Disconnect the hub and find out.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

This sounds like a DHCP problem maybe

Your new PC may be trying to connect to the network and failing. Try
running the network set up wizzard with the correct setting for your
situation.

> Even with more memory and a faster processor!!!

Yup, loading time is 95% hard drive.

I've got 2 Hitcahi 7K250 drives setup in RAID-0, that helps a lot. :cool:

> Does my USB Hub have anything to do with it on 1 pc vs the other not
> having one

I doubt it. How long are you talking to load Windows?

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I know the newer PC has a better chipset and faster