Help I'm Stumped !!!

MonteMan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
The last couple of weeks I was experiencing some problems with my computer. It would be running tip top and for just randomly it would slow down, I mean slow down allot I had a 1.2 T bird on a Gigabyte GA-7DXC in there and when a slow down would hit it made it seem like a 100mhz Cirrus. When I would hit a slow spot All my fans and what not would also slow down so I thought my Power Supply was going bad and I got a new one. That didn't help so I thought it was video, that wasn't it either and I checked everything, save motherboard and memory.

I stopped wasting my time checking all that stuff so I decided to do a little upgrading. I purchased an Epox 8KHA a T-Bird 1.33 and some Micron DDR. After installing all that stuff now I blue screen for no reason. I will be playing a game, surfing the web or just running scan disk and I will blue screen. I updated the BOIS on the 8KHA and got all new drivers for all hardware and even formatted. That seemed to help a little but I still blue screen and crash often. Any suggestions on what I should do/check? Anyone had some of these problems?

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
You didn't say if you reinstalled Windows, but I'd start there. Even if that's not the problem, you'll get a clean start with all the new stuff. If you are still having problems, I'd suspect any bit of hardware that wasn't replaced. Just pull out everything that you don't need (NIC, modem, etc.) and see if things get better. Sounds like a real pain... Good luck.

MonteMan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Yea in the post I wrote I said I reformatted, it was kind of hidden though. Even after reformatting its still screwing up. Hmmm So just try all the PCI and AGP cards one by one ehhh sounds tedious :)

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you sure that your PS can deliver the amount of power your system requires ? Sounds to me your having a problem with your PS not meeting the specifications..

If not yep you should try each card one by one..

Hope it helps,

Rop

Why do I use LINUX ? Cause its the BEST OS
Why do I use Windows? Cause its the BEST Nintendo..

MonteMan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I'm pretty sure 300 is sufficient I'm running Two hard drives a sound, video, and some other PCI devices then I have 3 or four case fans in there to keep the air moving.

Check your cpu voltage reading in the bios. If the reading is less than 1.8, try increasing it in .25 increments. I doubt that the power supply is the problem. Since you've had this problem with 2 different boards, it could be a software conflict.

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
maybe you should scan for viruses. I got hit by sircam32 and the whole system slowed down. Curious about your fans though.

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

MonteMan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Okay here is the new update I did a complete thorough scan for viruses and that is a no go. I haven’t tried the processor deal yet but I do need to add something. I am starting to experience the screwed up pixels on the windows start button and after the start bar is opened I can't see the windows ME Mel. Edition part its pink, the only way to get it off is to restart. Anyhow the part I forgot to add is after I blue screen or freeze or whatever. I hit the restart switch and I blue screen with right before I can log into the network. Its weird because the numbers on the blue screen change about 4 or 5 times without hitting any keys and then you have to actually shut off the computer then when you start it up it boots up fine and at network login it works like a million bucks.

Also if I were to increase voltage wouldn't I fry my processor?

I have been around computers my whole life and I have never seen something like this. Anyone got any new suggestions

PS-Thanks for all the help so far guys

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Your fans slow down!!!? with two different power supplies!!!?

What power supply are you using? What are it's specs, power rating, combined power (5Volt+3.3volt power), 5volt current rating, 3.3volt current rating, 12volt current rating?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For one you do have a power supply problem, whether or not that is the only problem is a good question. first fix that problem and then go from there. 300 watts supplies are the minimum for any t-bird setup that I would recomend, these even become insuffice when you start running multiple Ide devices and processors above 1 gig.

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!

MonteMan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Just to clariffy this up I only have one Power Supply... My computer specs are:

-Sony 10/8/32 CDRW
-Panasonic Blue Streak DVD
-Floppy
-3D Prophet DDR-DVI
-Maxi-Sound Fortismo II
-3Com NIC
-18 gig Western Digital Hard Drive
-DVD Decoder Card
-1.33 ghz T-Bird
-Epox KHA
-Huge Copper Heatsink with fan
-3 Case Fans
-Full Tower
-300 Watt Power Supply

Here is a picture of all the pixel errors I'm talking about...They don't go away until you reset so now I got that going for me. Please help me asap this is driving me mad

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/pictureserver/I_hate_My_Comp.jpg

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i dont know...sounds to me like not enough juice. get a 400w psu. 3 case fans, and a 1.3ghz athlon....all that stuff adds up to a whole bunch of juice being sucked up. you can get a higher wattage psu on pricewatch cheap.
-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You've got a loaded system. Your 300watt PSU is definitely not enough. One problem is the Geforce256, a power pig. Please read about the unusual power requirements of this card combined with an Athlon system at <A HREF="http://www.geforcefaq.com" target="_new">http://www.geforcefaq.com</A>. You will learn that a 20 amp capability on the +3.3 volt line is a minimum requirement. All the extra equipment in your system increases the demand. You have 3 PCI cards meaning more 3.3volt consumption. Check the specs stamped on the side of your PSU. Note that the +3.3 volt spec is probably listed as a peak value. You need this number to be higher than the 20 amp minimum I mentioned because the power needs to be sustainable.

You might want to consider a 350-watt or 431-watt Enermax PSU which have 32-amp and 38-amp peak +3.3volt capability, respectively.

MonteMan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Well all your math really confused the hell out of me but you guys are sure its the PS right because I don't wanna drop like 100 bones on one then it turns out to be something diffrent.

G

From your screenshut, i can see that it looks axcactly simular to somthing i have experienced. It turned out to be a very bad combination of WinMe and NVidia detonator drivers. I am still stuck with the WinMe but i updated the detonator drivers, actually i had to try 4 different versions to find the best. Now its very much better but not as good as before when i used Win98

Try the drivers

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I can tell you something is drawing too much power. Your fans should not be slowing down for any reason as you described. (I'm assuming you meant all your fans, CPU, case, etc).

Tell me the +3.3 volt specs and the +5 volt specs on the side or top of your power supply and I will tell you if I am sure.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.