Mac

Hi,
My xp machine doesn't work properly, only internet is
working fine. I checked the event viewer and find the
PWSteal.Tarno.J virus in my system. I tried to remove it
through the instruction of Symantec anti virus. But the
problem here I couldn't open the control panel, system
setting, word, excell, outlook express and also tried in
the safe mode but the situation is same. When I open the
word I got this message "windows can not find '(null)'.
Make sure you typed.....". If I reinstall the operating
system, can I retain my emails and word data. Please help
me.

Thanks,
Mac

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If you have internet access, and you don't have virus
protection your looking for trouble. If I were you I
spend the 49 dollars and download symantec virus software
and run a scan.

Mac

Hey Larry,
I have symantec corporate edition but I don't know why it
doesn't work. I have cd too but when I am trying to run
it doesn't allow me to do it. Do you know how I can scan
through dos.

Hi, Mac,
You asked, "If I reinstall the operating system, can I
retain my emails and word data."
No, if you do a clean installation, and a repair
installation might not remove what appears to be remnants
of the viral infection.
My suggestion: Before you resort to a destructive (to
programs and data) clean installation, try using the free
online scans offered by other security companies.
Type "free online virus scans" into a Google query box
(www.google.com), and see all the results. There are
many from which to choose. Use several.
Good luck!

Research reveals that the virus you cited is a Trojan.
You might want to try a Trojan remover first. This link
takes you to the download site of a 30-day free trial of
remover software.
http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html

sue

Here's a good online free scanner for Trojans:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/trojanscan.asp